Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Kerio Winroute - 6.7.1 Build 6544 (How to deploy and configure Kerio Winroute - 6.7.1 Build 6544)
  •  
ironman3

Send a private message to this user
Hello everyone. Thanks for having me. I dont know if this is the correct location for this post. Before I get into detail of why Im here, I'd like to provide some background info.

I work in an organization where I am doing part time IT job, owing to my interest in IT field. The main IT guy visits once in a month and since people have a lot of IT related issues, I tend to help them out.

My GM recently asked me to block internet access for several users but allow access to Outlook email (which connects to a web mail, no exchange server) to all. We have 17 users. 10 users need full access to internet. 7 users need only outlook and if possible ability to update antivirus. We run a domain controller cum dhcp server using Windows 2008 Server Standard along with 17 users running win7 and a ADSL router for internet, all of which connect to a linksys switch. No firewall at the moment.

I am aware that windows GPO works and I could limit users from accessing internet by using proxy. But however, I discovered that I could achieve this in a better way using Kerio.

I have downloaded Kerio Winroute - 6.7.1 Build 6544 in my system as trial and intend to ask the management to pay for it once I find that it serves the purpose.

Following are my queries:

1) Is this the latest version of the software available? I don't remember where I read about this and downloaded it.

2) Should I install this on the domain controller? Or will just about any computer connected to the switch do?

3) Do I have to change anything in the current configuration to get Kerio to block internet access?

4) When I installed Kerio Winroute to the Domain controller, it directly blocked internet access to everyone in the network. Even though I enabled access to HTTP, FTP, SMTP etc while installing. Why did this happen? I had to uninstall it to get the internet back on again. I intend to try this out next time when no users are using the internet.

5) Lastly, is Kerio Winroute - 6.7.1 Build 6544 suited for the purpose mentioned above? Or does kerio have a better suited product? Just to know I'm dealing with the right monster here.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 April 2015 09:27]

127.0.0.1 is a beautiful place!
  •  
ironman3

Hello? Nobody here?

•  
KCAP

hi,
i think you should first visit the website and do some research.
Your downloaded version is 5 years old,
start with downloading a new one.

For quick reaction,
it is a firewall , it will do what you want,
and you (preferable) do not install it on the Domain controller, but a separate computer (virtual) as a gateway.
with the standard installation you can work, then need a tune-up

Teun
KCAP [NL]
  •  
ironman3

Thanks KCAP for the headsup. Would it cause any undesirable effects on the DC? I'm asking because they are asking me to deploy it on a server and the DC is the only one. Otherwise I will have to put it on someone's work station. Regarding their website, I am a bit confused. I don't find winroute anymore. Only Kerio connect, Kerio Control, Kerio Operator. Which one would serve my purpose? And also looks like they are build for a lot more things than just a firewall.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 April 2015 14:32]

•  
Vicky Tripp (Kerio)

Hi,

There are no newer versions of WinRoute because we re-branded. What you will want is the the version of Control that is supported on Windows which is 7.4.2

If you go to this URL:

http://download.kerio.com

You can select Kerio Control which is the re-branded WinRoute and download version 7.4.2. In regards to putting it on the DC... I have to agree with KCAP if you can avoid putting it on the DC that would be better because if you have a server doing too many roles then there is a good chance that things will go slowly etc...

You are more than welcome to try it on the DC and see how it performs.

All the best,
Vicky

Vicky Tripp
Kerio Technical Support Engineer
  •  
ironman3

I have downloaded Kerio 7.4.2 and installed it as trial on a win7 system which is connected to the switch. This system is the new default gateway for all clients. However, none of the clients are able to ping this machine. If I disable Kerio, clients are able to ping. Am I missing something here?

•  
KCAP

hi,
you really have to give more info/schema,

the system needs to have two NIC's one to the switch and one to the modem
no cable between switch and modem directly

Then the ping, that really depends on your config, what you are allowing. normally a ping will do in the domain network but not from the internet.

Teun
KCAP [NL]
  •  
ironman3

KCAP, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post again. Smile Much appreciated.

My network is as such. A domain controller (win 2k8 server) also works as dhcp server, ERP server, Linksys switch, cisco 857 ADSL router and 17 clients to the switch running win7. Currently, my firewall is installed in a pc on the network and is assigned the default gateway. The ADSL router still is connected to the switch because I cannot disconnect internet while people are at work. So I was trying to see how it works by configuring the firewall system as default gateway and letting another workstation connect to the firewall system for internet. This has not worked out.

I need to try connecting the firewall system one to switch and one to the modem as you said. Right now the firewall system is only connected to the switch. Of course, for the policy to be implemented strong, all systems has to be configured to pass through the firewall, I know, but was just trying. I had advice that the firewall would work if I provide the firewall system IP as default gateway to any other system in the switch.

Regarding ping, since the firewall system is one on the switch now, all other clients are able to ping it locally over lan. When I fire up the firewall, clients are not able to ping. Ping fails. I don't get why this is happening? Firewall, like any gateway, should respond to ping. All settings on Kerio are default and I have not modified anything accept set the LAN interfaces and set up domain and imported all users.

Previous Topic: cant import user from active directory
Next Topic: [BUG] - Interfaces statistics reset to Zero when Time Zone changed.
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Apr 30 22:42:19 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00928 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.