Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migration Report - Exchange to Kerio Connect (It's long-ish read)
  •  
Bud Durland

Send a private message to this user
We just finished migrating a company that we acquired from Exchange 2010 to Kerio Connect, and are now in the "mop up" phase. We are running KC 8.4.3 64-bit on Windows 2008R2 as a VMWare guest. The project was to move 102 users and ~160GB of mail data. The migration took place over our WAN/VPN. We spent more than 4 months planning & testing before finally executing. Once started, the entire process took about 10 working days.

How it went:

We initially wanted to export users' mail stores to a PST file, and import it to KC. The idea was to do a one-time baseline import. Then when the user was migrated we would do another, smaller 'incremental' export to get new messages. This worked very well, except all the imported messages had x500 format addresses, so you couldn't reply to them.

The Kerio Exchange Migration Tool (KEMT) probably works fine when both servers are on the local network, but is practically useless over a WAN, mostly because it has no restart capability. We used a utility called IMAPSYNC (http://imapsync.lamiral.info/) to migrate messages, then exported contacts and calendars from Exchange to a .PST file and re-imported them to KC. The imported calendar entries came in as a "copy", but decided we could live with that. (BTW - IMAPSYNC is awesome! it alloowed us to correct folder names that were legal in Exchange but not in Kerio on the fly)

Some of the Exchange users existed only as shared mailboxes. The messages in these accounts were migrated into public folders. Again, IMAPSYNC made this really easy.

Connect crashed several times during the migration. I suspect this was caused by the very high traffic rate we were usually imported 2 or 3 users while at the same time configuring a new end user & thereby downloading their cache (all over a 10mb link). Now that traffic patterns have normalized, the usual Kerio stability is back.

Moving the e-mail from Exchange to KC caused the storage requirement to grow by about 20%

Gripes and Wish List:

We should probably be running KC on Linux. Part of our upgrade plan to 8.5 is to change to Linux.

When we started, I imported the new users from a CSV file, but couldn't import any forwarding information. I understand that's been corrected in a newer version.

I wanted to set up some groups as security principals, without giving them an e-mail address or publishing them in the Global Address List (GAL). The Kerio Client won't let me configure permissions to a public folder for such a group (although the old web mail does)

I should be able to use the administration console to
  • create public folders and configure rights
  • create & manage distribution lists in the GAL
  • Import members into a group from a CSV file

The administration console should have some filtering - perhaps by site, or access policy. The search is handy for finding one user, but maybe I want to see just the users in 'site a'

There's a 'Contact' tab in the administration console, which is nice, but it would be ideal if users could change their own information via the Kerio Client, or Outlook connector.

Calendar and folder sharing in Outlook is clunky the connector should be able to detect folders that have been shared with me at startup.

We really, really, really need to bring back the OutLook on-line connector.

Some users are complaining about lost functionality & speed, but that's a different thread, methinks.

Previous Topic: Backing up Data-Store to tape and other Q's
Next Topic: Unauthorized access to calendars in Outlook 2010
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Jun 23 05:28:56 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00364 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.