Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Failover & DNS A Name addresses
  •  
fishtech

Send a private message to this user
Our primary internet connection is a 50Mb fiber connection (RouterA). Our backup connection is 20Mb DSL (RouterB).

Both are connceted to Kerio Control and configured for failover.

Twice in the past week there have been problems with RouterA and the Connect nicely failed over to RouterB.

Is there any way DNS can be configured (probably at our ISP) for remote clients to know the A name for a Kerio Connect mailserver has switched from RouterA to RouterB at failover time?

I don't know enough about DNS but perhaps there is some redundancy built into DNS for this scenario. Can Round Robin DNS be used for this?

Thanks,

ft.
  •  
Jonas Rodrigues (Kerio)

Hello,

Have a look at MX records and priorities, that is probably what you are looking for:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record

As far as I understand your scenario, you could setup 2 MX records, Let's say Router A with priority 10 and Router B with priority 20.

I hope it helps.

All the best,

Jonas

Kerio Technical Support
Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
giampos

Sorry Jonas, you are proposing to misuse the Mx function to solve other needs??
This is interesting ! But if in this domain you also need real MX records ?
There's no risk of confusion ??
  •  
fishtech

Thanks Jonas & giampos.

I am already using MX prioritization. If RouterA becomes unavailable SMTP servers can still send to the Kerio server via RouterB thanks to the prioritization.

However, I am looking for regular client to be able to connect via RouterB, the Kerio Connect web client for example.

Prioritization for A names would be useful but I don;t believe there is any such thing.

Thanks,

ft.
Previous Topic: Multiple Internet lines
Next Topic: Site to Site VPN Throughput?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 02:21:20 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00453 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.