Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Spam is out of control
  •  
McIrish

Send a private message to this user
Hey everyone,
Lately it seems that spam is way out of control. I felt like it used to be so much better but lately I'm having to flag dozens of emails a day as spam. It almost feels like spamassasin isn't really working anymore. Is there some type of maintenance that needs to be done on it's database?
I'm really about really to find some third party spam screen to put in front of KC.
Any ideas of what to try?
we are running 8.4.3

[Updated on: Thu, 18 June 2015 16:58]

•  
ksnyder

Please try the suggestions at http://kb.kerio.com/1200

Ken Snyder
  •  
MarkK

Also see my post http://forums.kerio.com/t/27477// that I just updated a minute ago. (Get the latest file from the post at the end of the conversation on page 2.) Try it, it is free (<- my favorite price). If that doesn't help, it is as simple as deleting the custom rule file, and continue looking for another solution.

Spam Assassin is designed to be customized for your particular types of emails you receive. Kerio's Admin interface just barely scratches the surface of doing that. I was in the same spot, spam flooding in. I decided it was time to do something, so I spent time on getting Spam Assassin to work for the trash that we were getting. I went from coworkers getting 30 or 40 slipped-by spams a day to maybe 2 or 3 in a week.
  •  
McIrish

Thanks Ken and Mark. I will read up on both. I'm really hoping I can solve this before upper management gets too irate with me.
  •  
ksnyder

Thanks for jumping in on this. You are, in my opinion, the SpamAssassin master!

Cheers,
Ken

Ken Snyder
  •  
MarkK

I don't know about Spam Assassin Master; just a guy that got tired of dealing with Spam. Started by tweaking just the scores in the local.cf file, but Connect updates over write that file every time. Figured out any file with the extension .cf is a rule file, and they are processed in file name order (hence the leading z in the file name).

That helped, but still had way too much spam flowing through, and got tired of seeing the obvious spam words or terms that SA wasn't catching. So I started looking at the existing rule files, did some research to figure out how to write some simple rules, tried it and was pleased with the results. Spent time looking at spams and hams, figuring out how not to go to overboard on the spam scoring. It has been working very well for us.

Honestly, it has required very little upkeep at this point. Either you spend time fixing a spam solution to work, or you pay someone else to spend the time to fix a spam solution.
  •  
McIrish

Mark,
I want to clarify where the file goes before I use it or tweak it. Is this the correct path?
Kerio/Mailserver/plugins/spamserver/spamassassin/rules
I would just add your cf file to that directory?

Thanks for the help
  •  
MarkK

That is correct. Copy the file there, in Admin do the uncheck/check procedure for using Spam Assassin, and the new rule is being used. Any changes that you make to the rule files, you have to do the stop/start again for Spam Assassin to read in and use those changes.
  •  
McIrish

Thanks so much Mark. Now I need to dive in and learn it better so I can tweak it.
  •  
MarkK

The first entry in that post explains how to write basic rules. Figure that out, and look at the rules in the file and you be off to a good start.

One of the hard parts is trying to figure out what score to give something. What I do is look at the rules that were hit, since some of the built in scores are set to be informative rather than helping to score as spam. By that I mean, some of the scores will return a value of .001. Search online through the Spam Assassin site to see what that rule covers, and decide if it needs to be adjusted.

If I need to add a detected word / phrase, I set the score based on just how much of a spam only use it will have (milk is cancer), and set it enough to just hit the possible spam marking threshold.
Previous Topic: How to disable all hyperlinks in email?
Next Topic: Suppressing Email Aliases from GAL
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 17:03:39 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00489 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.