Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mac Outlook 2011 rebuilds Identity after every reboot
  •  
eyos

Send a private message to this user
I am using 3x Exchange accounts in Mac Outlook 14.5.2, MacOS 10.10.4. Every time I start Outlook after a system reboot it rebuilds the Outlook Identity („Setting up identity,")

Here's what I did so far
- I deleted all files within:
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Outlook
~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/
- I added all exchange accounts and I've waited over 24 hours until the Progress window synchronized all items.
- I've repaired permissions.
- Next day, Outlook starts rebuilding the identity again!?!?

I've repeated this process 3x times. Outlook seems to love rebuilding its identity. It's driving me crazy.
MS Support told me that this might be a Kerio Connect issue??

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?
Really appreciate your help.
  •  
Radek Sip (Kerio)

Reply from MS does not suprise me.
I guess Outlook's DB is not closed correctly while rebooting. On next start, the Outlook detects corrupted DB.

Do not add all accounts at once. Add only one, probably smallest, test some closing/open of app, reboots of computer. Then add next. You need find what account causes the problem.

If you have some Mac antivirus, disable it.

Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
eyos

Thanks for your reply.

How I do close Outlook correctly? I am always using „CMD Q" or „Quit Outlook" from the Apple Menu. Outlook is always closed before I put OS X into sleep mode.

It seems like that my primary account causes the problem. How can I debug which files are damaged? Reindexing the Kerio Account was successfully.

There's no Mac Antivirus app installed.
  •  
Radek Sip (Kerio)

In the webadmin, see error log, warning log, enable EWS module in debug log.

You should contact our technical support for help.

Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
Think Fixed

You really should just ditch Outlook. It's crapware.

That being said, what you have sounds like it's a permissions issue. User level permissions cannot be repaired with Disk Utility. You need to boot into the recovery partition. Once booted into recovery, use the utilities menu to open Terminal. In Terminal, type "resetpassword" (no spaces, without the quotes). Hit return. The reset password utility will open. Select the affected user account from the drop-down menu, and then look to the bottom of the utility for the place where you reset ACLs. Perform the reset, then reboot normally. This will repair the ownership and permissions in your home folder, including the Microsoft User Data in Documents. It will also fire up a new Spotlight reindex.

Howie Isaacks
Systems Admin | Apple Solutions Consultant
Think Fixed LLC, Dallas and Fort Worth

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
sfpete

Outlook 2011 is susceptible to database corruption if there is a problem with your drive.

This is especially the case with very large databases... which from the sounds of things... may be the case.

Check your client system disk for physical failure and directory integrity. Likewise, Outlook will ... like most things... run much (MUCH) better off an SSD vs a traditional hard drive.
  •  
Think Fixed

sfpete wrote on Wed, 08 July 2015 13:01
Outlook 2011 is susceptible to database corruption if there is a problem with your drive.

This is especially the case with very large databases... which from the sounds of things... may be the case.

Check your client system disk for physical failure and directory integrity. Likewise, Outlook will ... like most things... run much (MUCH) better off an SSD vs a traditional hard drive.

This is precisely why I think Outlook 2011 is crapware. There is no excuse for it to be this horrible at managing data. Apple Mail has some issues, but it's far better at managing large mailboxes, and multiple accounts.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
eyos

Thanks you for replies.

@Radek Sip (Kerio)
No Errors, Warnings or any kind of suspicious EWS entries show up in the Webadmin. As you already mentioned, it's rather a local Office 2011 database issue.

@Howie IT
Thanks, Howie. I've went through your tutorial as well. At first it was working fine. I've rebooted 5-10 times my Computer while opening and closing Mac Outlook 2011. Today, I've booted my Computer and suddenly the „Setting up identity" dialog box is back again.

It's really frustrating - I know I am not the only one who's affected by this. Though MS claims it's a single case. IT'S NOT. And it's definitely NOT a problem with my disk drive. I have deployed a couple of brand new Macs running Mac Outlook 2011. It's not happening immediately, however as soon as your mailbox fills up with messages, at some point Outlook starts rebuilding... These colleagues don't mess around with their Computers. It's always the same behaviour. Sometimes Microsoft Daemon even crashes on startup and eats up 100% CPU power.

I have notice Mac Outlook databases to be very fragile. Hopefully MS will ever address this issue.

@Howie IT: In regards of managing databases, Outlook might be crapware. I've read your posts about Mac Outlook along this forum - and I disagree with you. Maintaining, updating all these Mac Apps is even more painful and it's not a real „Office" alternative, (yet). Calendar, Contacts, Reminder, Notes used to work seamlessly with iCloud and its Apple ecosystem. Apple never cared much about these apps in the past and progress has been slow. It's a pain switching between 5 slim Mac Apps all the time. Most of the Mac only features e.g. additional contact labels, groups, calendar attachment... are not compatible with your Windows Outlook folks.

Anyway, it's great to have additional options like Outlook, Calendar, Contacts, Reminder, Notes and Kerio Webmail.
  •  
Think Fixed

@Howie IT: In regards of managing databases, Outlook might be crapware. I've read your posts about Mac Outlook along this forum - and I disagree with you. Maintaining, updating all these Mac Apps is even more painful and it's not a real „Office" alternative, (yet). Calendar, Contacts, Reminder, Notes used to work seamlessly with iCloud and its Apple ecosystem. Apple never cared much about these apps in the past and progress has been slow. It's a pain switching between 5 slim Mac Apps all the time. Most of the Mac only features e.g. additional contact labels, groups, calendar attachment... are not compatible with your Windows Outlook folks.

In my experience supporting thousands of Kerio Connect users, the Apple apps are the best choice. In my opinion, you're wasting a lot of valuable time trying to get Outlook 2011 to work. I have users who have mailboxes well over 50GB. There is no way that Outlook could handle a database that large, but Mail keeps rolling along with no problems. I have never had problems with event invitations sent from Windows users on Outlook. As for contact labels, I don't care. It's not a feature that appeals to me. With proper training and introduction, your users could use the Apple apps. It's not a "pain" at all switching between the apps anymore than it's a pain switching between the different tabs in Outlook. In fact, it's faster. If you've bad mouthed the Apple apps too much, then I can understand the reluctance of the users that you support. I do support several users who are using Outlook 2011, but most of my users are using the Apple apps. Look at all the help you're getting from Kerio and the Kerio admins who post here on this forum. You won't get this level of help from Microsoft. My advice is that you setup some people who are having problems with Outlook on the Apple apps, and let them decide if it's a "pain". They can always run back to Outlook if it doesn't work out.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
Previous Topic: Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2015
Next Topic: Kerio+Outlook - Mails sent per SMTP do not appear in Outlook sent folder
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Mar 23 17:23:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02015 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.