Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Block EXE in archives (block exe files in all archives not only in zip)
  •  
Grabsteinschubser

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

since Kerio Connect can block EXE files in ZIP archives a lot of viruses were not able to spread to my users. BUT if the virus EXE comes in a 7-Zip or RAR or whatever archive then it has good chances to find its way into the users mailbox. Is there any way to block EXE files in alternate archives?

Regards,
Arne
  •  
Radek Sip (Kerio)

The aim of the attackers is to get the software to the widest possible group of users, ie. use ZIP format integrated in desktop systems. Alternative archive formats are not suitable for this purpose.

Do you have reported any attacks to your users?

Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
Grabsteinschubser

Today we got several mails with 7z-attachments. Only Google Chrome saves them as zip file. However if you try to open it with Windows Explorer you get an error message - wrong zip format. But in my company every windows pc is also running 7zip. It is rarely that we get viruses in 7z, rar, cab or tar/tar.gz archives. But it happens...
  •  
Markvk

I fully agree, I would like to see an extension of supported archive types to all supported archives of 7zip, WinRAR and 7Zip.
I received virusses in RAR, ACE and GZ last couple of months. Not many but only one is enough to compromise my network. I have now blocked all other archives but ZIP but it is not convinient.
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

You should block these file types in the attachment filter. If your users want to send compressed files they can use zip or share the files using one of the many web based file sharing solutions.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
UnifiedTechs-Brian

Why not just block all other archive type extensions, should solve the problem totally.

- Brian
Kerio Preferred Partner, Reseller & Hosting Provider
Unified Technology Solutions
  •  
Markvk

Yes it solves the problem like don't drive a car if you don't want to have an accident...
A lot of people choose RAR as their favorit archive format. Thats why is is not convinient to have it blocked. And Tar and gz are used a lot by Linux users.
Previous Topic: can not update to rel 9.0
Next Topic: Connect Client: Reminders times
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Mar 23 17:25:46 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00472 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.