Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » El Capitan and Contacts
  •  
macjimbo

Send a private message to this user
I've upgraded one of my client Macs to El Capitan and now my public contacts have vanished in Mac Contacts.

In internet accounts I have 2 CardDav accounts setup (these were setup up by the Kerio Connect Account Assistant some time ago) but where previously one contained the personal contacts and the other contained the public ones, now they both link to my personal contacts on the server. So my Contacts book shows 2 copies of everything.

There doesn't seem to be any way of getting to the public contacts. There is an option in Internet accounts to set up a CardDAV account using advanced options, but I don't know what server path to use to get to the public contacts.

Hope someone can help?

Thanks

James
  •  
SebStar

Here are the file paths for a manual configuration.

But public contacts seems to be broke at the moment in 10.11 & Kerio
We have the same problems since the first Beta of 10.11

cheers

For your own contacts:
HTTP(S)://mail.example.com/carddav

For shared contacts:
HTTP(S)://mail.example.com/carddav/users/example.com/user-name

For public contacts
HTTP(S)://mail.example.com/carddav/users/example.com/.public
  •  
macjimbo

Thanks for this Sebstar. By broken, what do you mean? The experience I have is that I can create a CardDAV account manually but if I try to use the advanced option I get 'Unable to verify account name or password' - regardless of which path I enter in the server path field. I can't even add the regular /carddav path. To confirm

Account type: advanced
User name: james
Password: xxxx
Server address: mail.example.com
Server path: /carddav
Port: Auto, Use SSL

I have tried SSL on and off, port 443 and auto, leading slash on path name or not, trailing slash

Is this your experience also? The fact that I can't even get my own personal contacting using the advanced methods makes me think I'm either doing something wrong, or the whole advanced method is broken!

Thanks

James
  •  
Think Fixed

The issue appears to be a problem with El Capitan, not with Kerio Connect. I have spent a lot of time working on this issue. I now have an open case with Apple. The problem is with the Contacts app itself. I tried configuring this manually using my user name, password, server address, and path /carddav/users/mail.example.com/.public/, but it errors out every time saying that it is unable to verify the account name or password. When I check the logs on my servers, they don't register that my Contacts app ever made the attempt. This means that the Contacts app simply is not communicating with the server. At all. I suggest that everyone who is affected by this needs to call AppleCare, and open a case just like I did. I submitted captured log data to Apple on Friday, and I have a follow up call scheduled for this Thursday. In my case, this problem will affect thousands of my customers, so I intend to pursue this until Apple releases a fix. Having a lot more of us complain about the problem will help hammer home to Apple that their Contacts app needs to be fixed.

Howie Isaacks
Systems Engineer | Apple Solutions Consultant
Think Fixed LLC, Dallas and Fort Worth

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
Think Fixed

macjimbo wrote on Sun, 04 October 2015 05:46
Thanks for this Sebstar. By broken, what do you mean? The experience I have is that I can create a CardDAV account manually but if I try to use the advanced option I get 'Unable to verify account name or password' - regardless of which path I enter in the server path field. I can't even add the regular /carddav path. To confirm

Account type: advanced
User name: james
Password: xxxx
Server address: mail.example.com
Server path: /carddav
Port: Auto, Use SSL

I have tried SSL on and off, port 443 and auto, leading slash on path name or not, trailing slash

Is this your experience also? The fact that I can't even get my own personal contacting using the advanced methods makes me think I'm either doing something wrong, or the whole advanced method is broken!

Thanks

James

For just your personal contacts, using the "manual" method, not "advanced" will work. You only need to use "advanced" to setup public contacts. The "advanced" option appeared for the first time in El Capitan. It was not there in Yosemite. Perhaps this is an indication that Apple knows that they need to provide us with more options for setting up CardDAV accounts. The problem is that the "advanced" function does not appear to work. Kerio's implementation of CardDAV is not the problem. As long as we type in the correct settings, this should work. Please contact AppleCare and open a case about this so that it will help Apple understand that there's a problem.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
macjimbo

thanks Howie, will do.

How did the previous (Yosemite) implementation work? This was all set up via the auto config tool so I don't understand how it was configured behind the scenes.

cheers

James
  •  
Think Fixed

With Yosemite, we were able to use the instructions provided here if we didn't want to use the Kerio Account Assistant. Most of the configurations I do are done without the Kerio Account Assistant. The instructions are this link don't work on El Capitan. As I noted in my previous posts, the issue does not appear to be a problem with Kerio Connect. It's the Contacts app on the Mac that is being problematic.

http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/email-clients/mobi le-devices/manual-configuration-of-caldav-and-carddav-accoun ts-1327.html

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
henriok

I confirm this.
It isn't working in 10.11.1b2 either.

I'm filing a radar on this. As should anyone else.
  •  
Think Fixed

henriok wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 05:39
I confirm this.
It isn't working in 10.11.1b2 either.

I'm filing a radar on this. As should anyone else.

I tested this in 10.11.1 yesterday. The first thing I checked after upgrading my test system was the build number of Contacts. It's the same as the released version. Please contact AppleCare about this as well since the functionality is built into Contacts, but it appears to be broken.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I must confirm that El Capitan does not allow to create a secondary CardDAV account for public contacts. It worked fine in Yosemite but changes made in El Capitan Contacts app prevent this. Users upgrading from Yosemite to El Capitan will loose ability to synchronize public contacts.
Luckily our genius developers were able to figure out a way how to configure both CardDAV accounts. This can be done only via new auto-configuration tool, which will be released in Kerio Connect 8.5.3. Unfortunately, users upgrading from previous systems will have to run this tool to fix account configuration in El Capitan applications.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 October 2015 15:31]

•  
Think Fixed

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 08:31
I must confirm that El Capitan does not allow to create a secondary CardDAV account for public contacts. It worked fine in Yosemite but changes made in El Capitan Contacts app prevent this. Users upgrading from Yosemite to El Capitan will loose ability to synchronize public contacts.
Luckily our genius developers were able to figure out a way how to configure both CardDAV accounts. This can be done only via new auto-configuration tool, which will be released in Kerio Connect 8.5.3. Unfortunately, users upgrading from previous systems will have to run this tool to fix account configuration in El Capitan applications.

I never doubted that Kerio would find a solution. You're all awesome! Can you provide details on what the developers came up with? Apple's contacts app is supposed to be able to allow this without having to script the process.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
MBe9477

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 15:31
This can be done only via new auto-configuration tool, which will be released in Kerio Connect 8.5.3. Unfortunately, users upgrading from previous systems will have to run this tool to fix account configuration in El Capitan applications.

When will 8.5.3 be released? Wink
  •  
Think Fixed

I still have my open case with Apple for this, and I'm going to keep pursuing this until they fix this on their end. I'm happy to use the Kerio Account Assistant, but it's not always convenient, and I still favor setting up systems manually.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
macjimbo

Have spent an hour on the phone to Apple's Enterprise department here in the UK and although he could see that this wasn't working on El Capitan, but works on every other platform, he still concluded that the problem is that Kerio haven't updated their server to work with El Capitan. Which is exactly what I expected them to say.
Think Fixed

macjimbo wrote on Wed, 07 October 2015 07:21
Have spent an hour on the phone to Apple's Enterprise department here in the UK and although he could see that this wasn't working on El Capitan, but works on every other platform, he still concluded that the problem is that Kerio haven't updated their server to work with El Capitan. Which is exactly what I expected them to say.

He was wrong. This is CardDAV. Kerio did not invent CardDAV. My guess is that this guy didn't want to spend much time troubleshooting something and he gave you the age old standard tech support response that it must be on your end, or it's someone else's fault. You should insist that they collect logging information from your Mac to determine exactly what's happening rather than make assumptions about this. I love Apple, but sometimes AppleCare really drops the ball when it comes to more complex tech issues. Fortunately for me, I'm an Apple certified tech, so I rarely need to call them.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
Previous Topic: Kerio Sales Certification Training
Next Topic: Outlook 2016 calendar reminders are intermittent when shared
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue May 30 13:12:54 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01268 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.