Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migrate from Hosted Exchange to Kerio
  •  
Johan Gunverth

Send a private message to this user
Any updated strategies for migrating from a hosted Exchange 2013 to inhouse Kerio Connect?

No IMAP capabilities or possible admin rights on Exchange server. KEMT will therefore not work. 40 users with LOTS of subfolders. 300 GB mailstore. Mostly Macs with 10.10 and builtin apps. Some Windows 7 users with Outlook 2010.
The current server should run up until the point where we change the MX record in DNS (servers have already different A records) and new mail starts arriving in the new server. Users will have both accounts active for a short while. The old accounts on each user is then taken offline when old/new is synced.

Scenarios
- export and import of PST file on a (for migration purposes) dedicated Windows 7/Outlook PC at the time for migration.
- activating both accounts and find a way to syncronize in the background to populate the new server.
- setting up a relay server with Exchange WITH IMAP active and use imapsync and populate the new server.
- move server folders (where 95% of the mail store is) offline, focusing on inbox, sent, drafts, calendar, contacts, user-by-user manually
The new server has proper specifiactions. I've tried migrating 10 accounts offline manually with no problems.

The main issue here is time from start to finish. The time needed when the user should avoid using his/her account. The time needed to ensure the information is synced between the two servers. We seen lots of problems going TO Hosted Exchange. Mainly "time to get it done".
The above mentioned migration is due to a failed move to Hosted Exchange. It didn't ever work well. EWS budget being the main culprit.

Any real world advices? Kerio should really be listening to this and and try to add some kind of user based migration/syncing tool.
  •  
ComputerBudda

I don't know what EWS budget is but I've moved from inhouse exchange to Office365 numerous times with no downtime at all. I've also done migrations from inhouse exchange to inhouse Kerio with no downtime. Once the MX records are moved, the mail starts flowing to the new server and you can move old mail to the new message store, a few users at a time. Always do it over the weekend.

With hosted Exchange, usually you start the old message transfer a week a head of time and then do a final pass the day after the MX record move.
  •  
Johan Gunverth

Thanks.

The problem is to find the remaining mail and in what folder they are. There is no way to find those mails and sync them to the corresponding folder on the new server.

EWS budget is a feature in Exchange that shuts off/slows down clients that tends to ask for too much. It needs to bet set to "unlimited" to really work with Mac EWS clients. No luck with that on a Hosted Exchange.
  •  
ComputerBudda

If you backup to pst files that should get all the folders, then just connect to Kerio and import them. If you trial Backup Assist with exchange option, it has a pst backup feature that will make your migration easier.
  •  
Johan Gunverth

Nevermind. We will run MigrationWiz. Very useful service!
  •  
My IT Indy

Johan Gunverth wrote on Mon, 07 December 2015 10:25
Nevermind. We will run MigrationWiz. Very useful service!

It is a great service! We have used it several times when migrating from Exchange to Google Apps with no issues. Kerio migrations will only do email from what I remember.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
Johan Gunverth

Follow-up!

MigrationWiz did not work as expected. Source (Hosted Exchange) with 300GB data and free from any kind of traffic limitation (as I ask for). Target (Kerio Connect on a "Godzilla Mac mini") also free from any limitations. 100MBit fiber Internet. Firewall never busy. Traffic maxed out at 10% bandwidth.
- 40 mailboxes. 6 wasn't able to connect to source server at any point. 2 worked flawlessly. 32 was more or less with errors with up to 30 prestage migrations and 8-10 full migrations with error retries. Most common error (Could not connect to source/target server". It wasn´t able to finish properly.
- Customer is a law firm, where 30 % of the mail and folders contains "./." and ":" in subject or text. Problem for timeouts?
- Mail that finally made it to the target mailbox was 100% free from errors though.
- Migration two weeks in advance was really necessary. A mailbox with 16 GB mail (52.000 mails) was one that worked without any errors and took 12 days to migrate. Moving that mailbox manually through Mail.app took 2 hours.

Mail.app did rest of the job through a proxy Mac 10.11. Mail.app 8 just updates whats missing when copying a whole mailbox. Good to know and an easy way to fill in the missing mail from MigrationWiz.

Cannot recommend for Hosted Exchange to Internal Kerio until further tested. I will to a test with a local Exchange server to see whats missing.
  •  
MacLab

Looking on using MigrationWiz here on an IMAP to IMAP job. Apple Server to Kerio Cloud. Alternatively we could do the mailboxes manually via Apple mail as you describe. 10 to 15 mailboxes, probably about 40GB all told although I don't have all the info yet. One disadvantage to doing it manually is that you can really only do one mailbox at a time.

Thanks for the tip on Mail being able to update folders contents. Very helpful.

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
  •  
MacLab

Just finishing up using MigrationWiz and it's doing a great job. It does take some finessing. For instance, the "Notes" folder was stopping almost all the mailboxes from being migrated. But it was fairly easy to exclude that from the migration. There were a few other things that wouldn't go through and I had to turn off the error retries. After that it was smooth sailing.

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
Previous Topic: Redirecting Emails from domains with auth
Next Topic: Can't send Messages with Outlook 2011 Mac: EWS request CreateItem: error occurred; code 1
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 09:29:44 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00471 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.