Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Digium passthrough to Operator VM on ESXi (Digium passthrough to Operator VM on ESXi not working)
  •  
opsimex

Send a private message to this user
All,

I have Digium Analog 1A4B01F w/1 1X100MF in an ESXi v6 host I am attempting to passthrough to a Kerio Operator v2.4.4 P1 VM. The passthrough is setup and other VMs can see it. The Kerio Operator VM doesn't see "PCI device" listed, whereas other VM's do.

It appears to be a VM version issue. The Operator VM install sets it to version 4 whereas most of my other VMs are version 8 or higher.

After some research I found that the .VMX file can be modified to change the version #, albeit with the significant degree of non-boot risk. I am relatively new to VMWare, so manipulating config files by hand is not my first course of action.

For testing purposes, I changed the .VMX 'virtualHW.version = "4"' to 'virtualHW.version = "7"' but made no other changes. I booted the VM so it would read the new .VMX file. Sure enough, "PCI device" was listed but unavailable as the VM was running. I shut down the OS, went back into settings and was able to add a PCI device and choose the Digium card.

It failed to boot (not a real surprise) and ESXi provided no real diagnostic information. I reversed the changes I made to the .VMX file and Operator booted just fine and the system is working as before.

I have some documentation from my research that provides some insight to manually add a PCI device to a .VMX file, but honestly that seems a bit of a kludge.

Has anyone successfully implemented an Operator VM on ESXi and used a Digium analog card in passthrough? If so, what steps did you take?

Thanks.

•  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

The better way to upgrade the virtual HW version is as follows:

1. Stop the virtual appliance in the ESXi console
2. Right-click on the appliance in the list of appliances on your ESXi server.
3. Choose the option "Upgrade Virtual Hardware".

Hope this helps,
Vladimir
  •  
opsimex

Yes, and that worked perfect. I hate it when I miss the obvious.

Thanks for the quick response!

Regards.
Previous Topic: Disable lockscreen
Next Topic: Restart Just Telephony in 2.2.1
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Jun 25 07:11:10 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00410 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.