Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » [8.5.3] XMPP Client not pulling contacts on every account (Global contact issue with Instant Message)
  •  
LHammonds

Send a private message to this user
Problem

XMPP instant message client not pulling contacts on every account.

The environment
  • Kerio 8.5.3 (5082)
  • Instant Message service enabled for all IP addresses, no limits
  • Pidgin 2.10.11 for Windows
  • Single domain, Kerio authentication, no outside IM usage, no firewall or routing issue getting in the way

Details

We were tasked with providing an in-house chat system and thought Kerio would be a perfect fit since we would just need to enable the IM service.

Three admins installed Pidgin and it worked without much fuss.

When trying to install/setup for other Kerio users, they are not getting anyone in their contact (Colleague) list but they are logging in just fine.

We tried making one of the normal users an admin but that made no difference to the contact list.

For the users that cannot see others that are online/offline, they can add individuals and both do the authorization routine which let them chat with each other. This would be extremely inefficient since we have almost 1,000 accounts.

We then tried creating a brand new email account, we got the same results of it not populating the global address list.

The official trouble-shooting guide says to "Restore IM Contact List" for the user account but that does not change anything.

There was mention of an "over 1,000" users issue in 2013 regarding IM contact lists and we had 1,013 mailboxes. We deleted accounts until we got down to 993 account but that too did not make a difference.

We are having a hard time understanding why some accounts can work on any PC and other accounts will not work on any PC. It seems like we are missing a setting somewhere related to mailbox accounts but do not see what it could be nor see any documentation that might suggest such an individual setting. Seems like it is only "go" or "no-go" for the whole site rather than by individual.

LHammonds
  •  
Tomas Skoda (Kerio)

Hi LHammonds and welcome to our forums!

Please check Warning log on your server. I bet there is a log message saying:

Instant Messaging [external]: Maximum size (300) of the Instant Messaging contact list in domain *** reached. Users exceeding the limit will not have the automatic contact list available and they will not be populated to the automatic contact lists of other users. See http://kb.kerio.com/1403 for details. 

All you need to fix it is to:

1. Stop the server
2. (optionally) backup mailserver.cfg
3. Open mailserver.cfg, locate table InstantMessaging
4. Change RosterMaximum value to be higher than expected number of users within the biggest domain using IM
5. Change MaxMemorySize value according to table within knowledge base article linked from the warning message
6. Start the server again

Cheers,
Tomas
  •  
LHammonds

That seems to have been the trick. It was a bit more problematic that what I was expecting though. The initial change made it where IM services would refuse to start...thinking the ports were in use but they were not. I used Notepadd++ to edit the .cfg which I thought would not mess with the formatting but something happened and it used a backup config to load. I've edited thousands of XML, HTML, etc. types of files and don't typically bork formatting especially when just changing 2 values. No idea what went wrong.

After restoring the original .cfg and editing it with just Notepad, it worked. Not 100% sure what the exact issue was besides it not being able to load the .cfg. My initial value was 1000 for the RosterMaximum but on the 2nd try, I just used 999 in case it could not handle 4 numbers.

I added a new email account and it now pulls over 900 colleagues as expected.

Thanks,
LHammonds
Previous Topic: Kerio Connect v9
Next Topic: Kerio Connect 9.0.0 release
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 00:36:01 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00405 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.