Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Faxing (potential customer with 23 fax machines)
  •  
krobertson

Send a private message to this user
We have a new sales potential and the customer has about 120 phones with 23 fax machines. They are an automobile dealer and rely heavily on their fax machines. Does anyone have any customers they have installed with a large fax operations? If so what hardware was used and how well did it work?

We are thinking of building a pure Asterisk box with a Digium T1 card and a 2400 card (fx0/fxs) ports. Then using asterisk to route the calls directly to the fax machine. Then we would use Operator to pass all calls from the asterisk box to Operator.

Thanks for any help,
Ken
  •  
nhoague

I would be certainly interested to hear anyone elses input.

We had a large install and ended up using a Cisco 8000 (I think) to handle the SIP accounts and convert to analog for faxing. It is about 25% accurate and most times faxes going out get returned with a poor signal quality or line noise.

Youd be better off keeping faxes on analog circuit IMO.
  •  
fishtech

Does your customer need faxes to be received on paper?

If not, is there a reason you cannot use Operator's on-board fax features?

We originally maintained 15 POTS lines dedicated to fax. They connected to serial cards on a 4SightFax server which distributed by email.

About 2/3 years ago we switched to Operator fax services and have not looked back. Each user can now send and receive faxes on their DID number.

We have dedicated 'Sales' and 'Company' fax numbers which send faxes via email to a group.

It has been a positive experience for all.

Having said that, our fax load is significantly lighter than it was 4-5 years ago, but I do not get many complaints from my 40 users about fax services.

ft.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 January 2016 16:51]

•  
nhoague

So your users use the Operator MyPhone to send faxes? Do they ever get returns or bad quality? I'm wondering if its the Cisco SPA8000 over IP to Operator that is causing bad faxes.
  •  
fishtech

There were some complaints early on, but I have not heard anything recently.

I just double-checked with some users and they like it. But perhaps our fax volume and frequency may not be comparable to your load.

Do you know of any way to analyze faxes sent/received with/without success within a timeframe? That might help.

ft.

•  
krobertson

They currently receive faxes on paper. We will try and get them to use the inbound fax to email.

I am more concerned about outbound faxing than anything. We have many ideas as to what equipment to use. We have other users on Operator and other VoIP products and the faxing on a small scale is working. But we are interested in larger Fax users and what they have used and their experiences.

thanks
ken
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

The fax protocols were originally designed for analog and ISDN lines, ie. for situations with low latency and low jitter. This is not exactly the case with VoIP, so the results depend a lot on whether you have a good internet connection and on how your SIP provider is handling faxes. When using HW fax machines, the recommendation is to to set the transfer speed to at most 9600 bps. If the SIP carrier does not support T.38, you should use G.711.
Previous Topic: iPad as desktop phone
Next Topic: Snom deployment of internal phonebook
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 22:24:28 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00477 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.