Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Archive public folders
  •  
Pascal

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

What would be the best solution to reduce the size of our public email folders?
We would like an automatic archiving for all messages older than eg 1 year.

thanks for your suggestions/solutions

Pascal
  •  
Pascal

Is there no solution?
  •  
lodewijk

Hello Pascal,

we have a couple of Kerio installations with massive public folders!
(they file ALL the emails related to their projects into public project folders)

to cut down on public folder sizes (so all the laptops don't fill up, as you cant select with folders to sync any longer in Apple Mail)

So what we do like twice a year or so is move older/unused public project folders offline.

we do this by going into the mail store via the terminal (we run all the Kerio Connect's on MacMini's)
and move the older project folders out of the public folder.

Sometimes they need access to these an offline public folder again, then we move an folder back again

it's better (mandatory?) to stop Kerio for a few min when messing around in the store!
don't for get to re-index the public folders in the admin panel after making any changes in the store (other wise the changes you made will not show) but it might do this at startup of the mail server..not sure...I always do it any way...

regards from Amsterdam!
  •  
Pascal

Hi Lodewijk,

this seems a good approach.
I now was thinking to export all the public folders to mbox and then manually delete old files.

What do you mean by 'going into the mail store via the terminal'?

regards, from Beveren
PAscal
  •  
lodewijk

Dag buurman Smile

Exporting folders to mbox is a perfectly valid solution!

We do it the command line way as it's less effort...but in your case stick with mbox exports Smile

Background info on the terminal store thing you asked about;

Kerio uses a flat file store (unlike microsoft Exchange that uses a big database as the data store)
This means all the mail folders and emails it self and stuff are just folders and files, therefore you can manipulate (move/copy/delete etc) these folders and files and so move email folders and stuff around. It's best if you do this (don't do it in your case Smile to do this via the command line (aka Terminal on Mac). See it as a backdoor to your mail server content. Again this is an advanced technique, DONT do it on a production server if you don't know what you are doing Smile

Greets,
lodewijk
  •  
esmiraldaQ

Hi,

I do have the same task pending.

First I thought I do it with Thunderbird because it stores it as mbox or mdir file format it's reliable and easy to deal with

BUT

MY customers has hundreds of Public folders with hundreds of subfolders and Thunderbird (kerio imap?) is not able to subscribe inherit the subfolders which is not a big deal for just a few but if you have a lot it tooks ours, days, weeks Wink to subscribe one by one.
So this is not an option.

So I think the best way is to do it under the hood,
I think stopping the mailserver is mandatory here.

Now my question:

If I am done with my offsite replicing task of my public folders.
What can I delete and what not I mean in case of an restore
What does Keri needs to be able to reindex it ?
EG. index.fld, metadata.dbb, metadata.dbo, properties.fld, search.fld, status.fld

Greets & best from Berlin
Previous Topic: DKIM signing for unauthenticated SMTP?
Next Topic: Full text service ended
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 25 03:18:44 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00417 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.