Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migrating to Google Apps
  •  
greg_m

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

One of the organisations I look after is moving from on premise Kerio to Google Apps for Business. They currently use Outlook on Macs and PCs configured as an Exchange account. We are planning to switch to the Google Apps Sync plugin.

A small team of staff will be moved ahead of the rest, so they will need access to both accounts for time being as there are meeting room resources and colleagues calendars they need to see.

My question is, what would be the best way to approach the migration? It seems from my initial tests that the GAS plugin forces the creation of a new profile, so it would seem that I will need to then add the old Kerio account as an IMAP account alongside the Google account. Would this be the best way of doing things? Has anyone done this already?

Thanks

•  
My IT Indy

Outlook for the Mac won't work with contact and calendars on Google Apps so that is something to consider.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
sfpete

Correct. Your Mac users will need to use Apple Mail/Contacts/Calendars - OR - a much better plan, have them use Google Apps directly in a web browser for the best experience?

In fact, all users should be doing this... Mac and Win. It's "how it's designed to be used" and you will have the best experience by far.
  •  
lodewijk

hey greg,

This should be easy...here is what i would do...

it's really simple once you get comfortable of starting with clean empty mail boxes in google apps Smile
and have there "old" email in there old mail account.

1. setup google apps gmail.
2. switch over the MX DNS records to google apps.
3. have every body use the webmail for now.
4. export and import the google apps peoples contacts if they have them.
5. turn off you current kerio mail server.
6. people keep there old email in outlook as their new "archive"
7. wait 1 to 2 weeks so people get forced to use the webmail (tell them it's only temporary and that it's good they get used to use it in case of emergencies in the future if they need to use the webmail as a backup.
8. after 2 weeks do nothing....some users will ask you when the can use the outlook again...tell them there are some unexpected compatibility issues with Outlook and google apps...and only Apple Mail is a working alternative at them moment...
9. if they want apple mail fine, set it up for them...there will only be a few...the rest will be fine with the webmail.

We have everybody use Safari for general internet browsing, and configured Chrome to start up with gmail as start page, so Chrome has become there new "mail client" and most users like it just fine Smile

Gmail is designed to be used in the (Chrome) browser, its the best mail client for it...just tell the users it's only temporary for max 2 weeks, after they have used for it while they will agree it works quite well even tho it's a "webmail" client that we are used to avoid at all costs..

Cheers from Amsterdam!
-lode
  •  
greg_m

Thanks for all your replies. It's a bit of a shame we're moving away from Kerio as I've looked after it for over 10 years and have always liked the product. The help I've found in this forum and the support staff have been great. But the decision to move was out of my hands and caused mainly by the desire to have email in the cloud for DR reasons and the historical issues we've had with Entourage/Outlook on the Mac.

It's a bit ironic that they are moving to Gmail as Kerio's web interface is much better IMHO. I can't stand Gmail, it's a terrible interface. No one listens to the IT staff when making these decisions though!

I found the Google Outlook Sync plugin worked a charm and I had no real issues migrating the Windows users from the local profiles. I used Migration Wizard for the few Mac users but that was not so easy. I got there in the end but if I had more than 50 users to migrate I'd outsource.

Users will just have to get used to the web interface on the Mac side, maybe it'll get better over time.

Thanks again.

Previous Topic: Move from Kerio 32bit to 64bit and to a new server
Next Topic: Add "alt" attribute
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Jan 21 14:15:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01037 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.