Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Ring Group Strategies
  •  
billbrigg

Send a private message to this user
Ring Groups only have one strategy: ring all agents. We have run across several situations where additional strategies would have been helpful.
Call Queues have multiple strategies in addition to ring all: round robin with memory, ring least recently called agent, ring agent with fewest calls, ring random agent, ring in order.
Could additional strategies be added to Ring Groups? The most helpful would be round robin with memory and ring in order.
  •  
ksnyder

I believe that, technically, a Ring Group is a Call Queue with a ring_all_agents strategy. I'm almost 99% sure that if we were to fully eliminate the Ring Group feature, that a Call Queue with ring_all_agents strategy would fully replace it (while adding more flexibility). In other words, there's an argument to be made that a Ring Group is pretty much redundant.

Is there a business use case for using Ring Groups instead of Call Queues?

Ken Snyder
  •  
billbrigg

I see one significant difference in functionality. When all phones are unavailable (either on a call, phone set to Do Not Disturb, or a combination of these) a Call Queue puts additional incoming calls into queue. A Ring Group will immediately send an incoming call to the number defined in "Fallback to another extension when the group is not responding".

The call flow scenario in question is this: send a call to a group of phones (ex. a team of receptionists). If no one is available, immediately send the call to the next destination (Auto Attendant, another Ring Group, voicemail box, etc.).

The only way I see to move a call from a Call Queue is the timeout exception. The issue here is that the caller will have to wait the timeout value before the call is moved.

There is also a queue is full exception. However, the lowest value for queue length is 1. Maybe allow for a queue length of 0? Then the call would immediately be sent to the forward to number.
  •  
ksnyder

Hi Bill,

Great summary! I think you're right. With current functionality, the best caller experience would require a fairly low timeout setting (15, 20, or 30 seconds) that then takes the action defined in the Exception tab. In terms of a feature suggestion, perhaps rather than a max queue length of 0, an option for what to do when all agents are busy would accomplish the same thing?

Ken Snyder
  •  
billbrigg

Ken,

Yes, an "all agents busy" option would do the same thing.

Either way, this is removing functionality from a Call Queue to make it a Ring Group. From a training and support perspective, adding functionality to a Ring Group would be better than removing functionality from a Call Queue.

Do I need to make a feature request? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks,
Bill
  •  
Previous Topic: Voicemail integration with Kerio Connect failed.
Next Topic: Gigaset C470 + C610 - rtp lost packet - voice droupouts
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Apr 28 00:44:22 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01014 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.