Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Moving Kerio Connect from Mac to Ubuntu Linux on AWS EC2
  •  
Will Mayall

Send a private message to this user
I'm moving Kerio Connect from a Mac to an AWS EC2 instance. I've managed many Linux VPS but when I price them out for Kerio, the storage costs become prohibitive. This is where AWS shines. It is flexible and there are lots of options for storage.

I'm no Linux guru and I'd never set up an EC2 instance but I got Kerio Connect up and running in less than an hour.

I'm getting close to migrating but I'd really appreciate a reality check from the folks here. There are about 50 users and 100GB of data.

Here's what I've set up:
  1. EC2 t2.medium (2vCPU, 4GB)
  2. Linux - Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (HVM)
  3. 180GB SSD volume for instance (enough for OS and mail with 40GB free)
  4. 200GB HDD volume for backup (2.5 times backup files)
  5. 4GB swap file on SSD for VM
  6. Elastic IP
  7. Webmin for GUI admin
  8. CFS/LDF firewall
  9. AWS CLI for S3 backups

Some general observations/notes:
  • EC2 - Very well documented and incredibly flexible. It can be a bit obscure. For example, moving to a different instance or resizing a volume requires careful attention to the steps.
  • My System Setup - From what I've seen so far, the setup has way more power than Kerio Connect will need.
  • Kerio Backups - Rotated weekly. They are stored on the backup volume. The backup volume is synchronized daily to S3 via an AWS CLI cron job. The S3 Bucket is archived to Glacier storage. (I wish Kerio could do a delete before backup. The old data is safe since it is archived to S3.)
  • Root Backups - I have not figured out what to do. EC2 snapshots seem less than ideal but better than nothing. "ec2-automate-backup" seems like it could work.
  • Migration - I'm already syncing the existing backups to S3 so they are very easy to use. I'll be using the technique I previously described here: Detailed Steps to Move Kerio Connect

Any thoughts? Warnings? Tips?

Thanks,

Will Mayall
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

t2.medium is burstable instance with expected average CPU usage below 40%. That might not be enough, especially when doing backups and you may end up with depleted credits and performance problems. T2 instance family is designed for low to moderate network traffic. You may start with t2.medium, but be prepared you will need to scale up.

If you have enough RAM, you don't need swap. In fact most IaaS providers does not allow that intentionally as that kills their shared storage.

Make sure you backup your instance. EC2 are not persistent and might be terminated anytime and you loose data. Put everything on EBS which is persistent.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio

Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
Looking for help ? - http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
Will Mayall

The instance is on EBS. I've reduced swappiness to 5.

Automated backup of the instance is a remaining challenge for me to figure out.

Also, I have not figured out how to have Kerio take over the role of sendmail. I'd like to get root status emails.

Thanks for the tips!
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

Here's the solution for sendmail - http://kb.kerio.com/364

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio

Looking for help ? - http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

AWS pricing structure and storage plans are terribly complicated and ultimately very expensive. I suggest having a look at Webtropia https://www.webtropia.com.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
  •  
Will Mayall

It's been less than one week but so far everything looks good.

The t2.medium instance seems to be quite a bit more than is needed and the server will not come close to using all the credits.

It is a complicated pricing scheme but it currently looks like we will save quite a bit over our previous hosting.
  •  
Will Mayall

Another update:

There's little doubt that the t2.medium instance is overkill for the 50 user setup. I've barely seen the CPU go above 5%. Only during backups does the CPU use really climb.

The server and backups seem rock solid.

Total cost looks like it will be less than $100/mo. I assume I could find a lower price but this is less than I was paying before.
  •  
Will Mayall

Final update: The migration has been a huge success. Running on a Ubuntu AWS EC2 platform has been rock solid with superb performance.
  •  
TheMilkMen

I run Kerio servers on both Digital Ocean and Vultr. Could I ask how much hosting on Amazon is costing your per month? As you say it's very complicated but a bottom line figure would be appreciated if your happy to tell us on the forums
Previous Topic: Task Status Update Problem in Outlook 2010/2013
Next Topic: Přeposílání z backup mailserveru
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Dec 02 20:51:45 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04636 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.