Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » On Hold Music (very staticy; cuts in/out)
  •  
Dylan Downs

Send a private message to this user
Hi. We have a Grandstream Phone system using Kerio Operator in 8 different clinic locations. When putting internal calls on hold, the music sounds perfectly clear; no issues at all. However, when people call in from the outside and are placed on hold, the music is very screechy and staticy. It cuts in and out, which makes callers disgruntled and unhappy. Does Kerio provide any G.729 quality music on hold? Or what suggestions can be made to correct this? I have placed the GSM codec at the top as was suggested to me by someone else, but it did not do much to make any difference. Thanks!
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

Hi Dylan, it's me again Smile The problem you're describing does sound like a codec issue. Have a look at the call history and locate one of the calls where the issue was reported. This will show us the used Codecs, and the "from QoS" and "to QoS" values. It would be helpful to know this information. You can also confirm the used Codec in the active calls.
Are you using a SIP trunk?

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
Dylan Downs

Hello, again. On the to and from side, the codec used was G.711 u-law. I did try putting GSM at the top as you had first suggested, but that did not help with the quality at all. Yes, we are using a SIP trunk. I am not seeing any "From QoS" & "To QoS" values, however.
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

You may need to enable those columns using the pull down menu in the column heading. There are instructions here http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-operator/troubleshooting-k erio-operator/monitoring-kerio-operator-1637.html

Brian Carmichael
  •  
Dylan Downs

From QoS was 0/66, 0ms. The To column was blank.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 February 2016 21:45]

•  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

It doesn't seem that you have any latency issues. Did it show GSM as the Codec in your call history when you placed it higher in the list? Have you tried moving G.711 u-law down the list? Who is your SIP provider? Do you have recordings played from the auto-attendant and if so is there also audio quality issues playing back those audio files?

Brian Carmichael
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi Dylan,

the GSM codec actually offers the worst quality of all of the codecs available in Operator. Its only advantage is a low bandwidth. Please rather use G.711, it will sound much better. It will, however, ask for 8kB/s of your bandwidth (each way).

Please check active calls or call history to confirm that the G.711 is really in use.

The G.729 is not fully supported by Operator as it is a licensed codec and must be paid for.

Best,
Filip
  •  
Dylan Downs

I have checked the call history and can confirm that G.711 is in use on calls. Calls sound perfectly clear, it's just the MOH that is very choppy and staticy.
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

Have you uploaded your own MOH? Have you tried other sound files? As you described sounds of static and scratchiness, I would say it's likely a codec issue. Who is your SIP provider? Have you tried re-ordering Codecs in the SIP interface to see if there is any difference when using other codecs?

Brian Carmichael
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

In the other thread I gave you instructions how to capture debug data. Can I ask you to do the same for this issue?

Please make two test calls, one internal (good quality) and one external (bad quality).
Previous Topic: Auto-Attendant
Next Topic: Integration between GOIP and Operator
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Apr 24 17:07:21 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03374 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.