Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Receive faxes silently (or with different ring tone)
  •  
fishtech

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I have received complaints from a user that incoming faxes interrupt his work. He picks up the handset thinking it is a call, but then has to replace the handset.

There are 4 options to configure fax detection for an extension receiving faxes:

http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-operator/server-configurat ion-kerio-operator/fax-support-in-kerio-operator-1228.html

Is it possible to have the fax received silently, without ringing the extension?

Otherwise, can the handset recognize the call as a fax and use a different ringtone.

Thanks,

ft.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2016 15:58]

•  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi,

faxes are detected by analyzing the audio stream and waiting for the CNG tone. Thus, the call must be picked up.

As you mentioned, there are four options, the last two will have Operator pickup the call, listen for the CNG tone for 3.5 seconds before calling the user's phone.

Filip
  •  
fishtech

I don't think I understand fully. Are saying there is no way for a user to receive a fax without picking up the handset?

What happens if the user is away from desk?

Thanks,

ft.
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

I believe the last two options are what you may prefer. They introduce a small delay in order to detect if the incoming call is a fax and AFAIK it does not initiate a call to the extension if it detects that the incoming call is a fax. That part though doesn't seem to be quite clear but I believe it is the behavior.
This is one of the challenges of mixing regular calls with Fax calls. If possible you should reserve DIDs for faxing so that you can have dedicated fax extensions.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
UnifiedTechs-Brian

Brian Carmichael (Kerio) wrote on Mon, 09 May 2016 17:09
I believe the last two options are what you may prefer. They introduce a small delay in order to detect if the incoming call is a fax and AFAIK it does not initiate a call to the extension if it detects that the incoming call is a fax. That part though doesn't seem to be quite clear but I believe it is the behavior.
This is one of the challenges of mixing regular calls with Fax calls. If possible you should reserve DIDs for faxing so that you can have dedicated fax extensions.

Agree 110% on a dedicated DID for fax ..... Except that when you send a fax through the Operator Web Client it give no choice to choose the dedicated fax number as the outgoing number, so it appears to come from the users direct line or the main number. Operator needs the option to send all faxes from the dedicated fax DID, and it needs to be something you can set in the admin panel.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2016 21:46]

- Brian
Kerio Preferred Partner, Reseller & Hosting Provider
Unified Technology Solutions
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Good idea. I'll record that as a suggestion in our system. Thanks!
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi,

you may create an outgoing route with a different prefix and use it just for faxing or in general for calls over the main DID number.

Filip
Previous Topic: BLF-Lamp no blinking for second incomming call
Next Topic: Call Completed Elsewhere
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Dec 11 10:54:31 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00860 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.