Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Reminders appearing on other users' devices
  •  
vedder9

Send a private message to this user
Has anyone else seen this? At one of our clients (around 45 users), a small handful of employees have reported receiving alerts from other people's calendars. Events seem to be random, the people tied to the actual events seem to be random, and only three or four users have mentioned noticing the problem (though not everyone has their calendar set up on their phone).

Everyone that has mentioned the issue is using iOS, but with that being said, the number of people using an Android phone is quite small. Probably just a few, and they may not even have calendars syncing, so I can't specifically state that it has to do with CalDAV vs Exchange. It should also be mentioned that no one has ever mentioned seeing these alerts come through on their computers (all Apple machines running 10.10.5).

For the most part it isn't a huge deal, but it still concerns me from a privacy standpoint. So far the reminders haven't been for anything terribly personal, but eventually something is bound to happen that is going to create an issue that I'd like to avoid. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to even start.

Thoughts, anyone?
  •  
Carsten Maas (Kerio)

Hi Vedder,

I assume that that the person(s) getting reminders from other people's calendars are persons, with whom the correct recipient of the reminders has shared his/her calendar, right?

You can turn that off in the calendar app on a per calendar base on the iOS device. Tap on "Calendars" in the calendar app, tap on the "i(information)" sign behind the calendar name and turn off "Show changes" and "Event alerts".

I hope the attached screenshot clarifies what I mean (calendar is the calendar of my colleague Marino)

• Attachment: calendar.jpg
    (Size: 91.55KB, Downloaded 123 times)

Carsten Maas
Technical Marketing Engineer
Kerio Technologies

Kerio Deutschland youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/KerioDeutschland
  •  
Tenglund

I've got the exact same issue at one customer. Never seen this before, and i cannot see any difference in setup on the clients or server.

The notification issue appears at both iOS and Apple calendar in OSX.

Latest Kerio Connect, 10.10 and 10.11 on the clients.
  •  
Carsten Maas (Kerio)

Have you tried to change the settings on the iOS device like I described it in my post?

On OSX, there is also an option available in OSX Calendar app:
Right-Click -> Get Info on the calendar, which is shared to you and tick "Ignore alerts"

Carsten Maas
Technical Marketing Engineer
Kerio Technologies

Kerio Deutschland youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/KerioDeutschland
  •  
Tenglund

Yes, i've tried that and also compared the settings from our own environment.

On our own devices/computers we have never had these issues, and on my own iOS devices i have the "event alerts" checked and never get any one elses notifications.

In the customers environment the notifications show up often, but not all the time. It affects only about 3-5 people/accounts of about 20. I've checked all the calendar sharing settings, and cannot see anything strange there. I've also tested to disable all sharing for the affected users, and then shared them again and the problem will not end.
  •  
vedder9

Thanks for the screenshots Carsten. Unfortunately, I'm with Tenglund o this one. That doesn't appear to be it.

In fact, on the phones themselves, no one is sharing calendars. Within Kerio's user web portal we have each person's calendar set so that everyone in the agency is a reader of their calendar. We do also have a master account that is a delegate of every employee's calendar because we needed to allow for changes on everyone's calendars on a fairly regular basis.

Otherwise, no sharing settings are set in Apple Calendar or on the individual phones.

I will say that one person that was having issues said that after I removed her account and set it back up again, the problem has gone away on her phone. Unfortunately, a few of us set up phones, and some set things up as Exchange accounts and others did CalDAV. Hers is currently setup as a CalDAV account, but one of the other users reporting issues has only had hers setup as CalDAV on her phone, so perhaps it is worth just removing the account and setting it back up again to see if it goes away.

I'm happy to hear we aren't the only ones seeing this. Though the odd thing is that we have numerous clients that are similar in size, and on the same mail server, but they have never once reported the issue. So strange...

I'll try removing the account and just setting it back up again. I'll update this with my findings, but if anyone else has more insight, feel free to bring it.
  •  
Tenglund

Do we have any more ideas about this problem? I'm really interested in getting this solved as it's really annoying for the users.

I've been thinking about one possible reason for this, but it should not be possible.. The customer who has this issue was running Apple Calendar server before we installed Kerio Connect. Could it be that there are some traces left from that environment which sends reminders across "all" users?
  •  
vedder9

On a somewhat similar note, the client that we are having issues with didn't use Apple Calendar server, but they were using Workamajig for their calendar needs prior to switching to Kerio. Foolishly, we thought we could save a bunch of headaches by exporting their calendars as an ICS file and importing that to their Kerio accounts.

It created so many more headaches than it avoided. Events were sort of tied to users, but not really. Events that included others were sometimes still tied to them, other times not. Recurring events are absolutely impossible to deal with (we still run into things a year after switching over). Just one frustration after another. I've often wondered if this has something to do with this issue, and all the other strange issues we have run into that don't seem to plague the other clients we have on the same server.

Like you, I have no clue if the two are related, but perhaps?
  •  
dr.pepper

I have exactly the same issues with one of our customers.
Unfortunately the users are experiences these behavior on their iOS phones and Mac OSX as well.

One calendar users (about 3-4 of 50) are getting notifications from is not shared to them.
The customer domain was transferred from another Kerio Connect server. The users configuration was checked (././folder.map). There is no context refer to the calendar the affected users have problems with. The calendar accounts were removed and re-add to users' devices.

So I have to investigate the issue from another point of view. Please let me know if someone has any helpful ideas!

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2016 12:03]

•  
vedder9

No solutions as of yet, but just to update this for potential reference in the future, a person that was having issues after having set their account up on an iPhone 6S for the first time (setup as CalDAV), I tried removing the account and re-adding it (CalDAV again). I'm not sure if it will have any impact on anything, but we will see if she continues to see random events from others continue to come through.

She was not having these issues when using her Galaxy SIII or SIV syncing via Exchange ActiveSync.
  •  
vedder9

To update things, removing and setting the account up again did not resolve things. Random alerts keep coming up. Today we tried removing the CalDAV account and setting up an Exchange account with everything but calendars turned off.

Stay tuned for the results...
  •  
vedder9

Another update. The bad news is that more people in the office are reporting the issue. Not sure if the problem is getting worse or if people are just tired of seeing random alerts and are finally starting to speak up. Regardless, it went from just being two or three people to about 5-10 (of about 45). I don't think everyone has calendars setup on their phones either, so I'm not really sure what kind of a percentage of affected users we are looking at.

On the plus side, it does seem like setting things up as an Exchange account seems to resolve it. It has been over a week since changing the account over from CalDAV to Exchange and she said she hasn't had any other issues. I changed over another person's account as well, but it has only been a couple days, so I'm not sure if I will consider this method (band-aid) a success.
  •  
hello

@vedder9

Setting up the IOS devices using exchange will fix the issue. If you setup the user using CalDav it will automatically add all other subscribed calendars and their alerts. you can check this by going to the Calendar App on the iOS device and then tap the Calendars text on bottom center - you will see ALL subscribed calendars there if setup as CalDav and you will need to go to each individual calendar and turn off 'show changes' and 'Event Alerts' - imagine doing this for 20 calendars. Sad

This is why I setup my iOS devices as Exchange
  •  
vedder9

Thanks for the reply, and though I don't think what you have stated is incorrect, I don't believe that is the issue here.

Since sending out an e-mail to everyone at the company, it turns out that most, but not all, employees have been seeing these random alerts. In addition to that, it seems that every event that people see notifications for is a personal event (Doctors appointment, lunch with friends, etc.). Things that they aren't putting on their shared, work calendar. The alerts people see are never for a meeting taking place at the company in one of the resources. If it were picking random events I'd expect some of both. But it only picks personal events.

At this point, I'm more concerned that it seems to be pulling events from other calendars. I need to wait till someone sees one go through again and hopefully we can figure out who's calendar it came from and where that event was located. I don't have any concrete evidence yet, but I know that two of the users whose events have sent out random notifications have Gmail accounts setup, and those are likely what they would use for personal events. Again, until I can actually see an alert and tie it to a specific person and calendar, I will consider this thought pure conjecture.

Switching to Exchange is fine, and I don't mind doing it, but that isn't fixing the problem. That is simply just avoiding the it.
hello

no problem...just trying to help.
Previous Topic: The new Kerio anti-spam system generating many false positives
Next Topic: Migrating from windows to linux
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 09:27:53 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01266 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.