Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SPAM button gone on 9.0.4p1 webmail (user interface change on 9.0.4p1)
  •  
jimsky7

Send a private message to this user
Up until 9.0.4p1 we had a "button" SPAM at the top of the webmail interface which we could click. My impression was that this would notify the anti-spam systems that a certain email was a spam, in order to improve future performance. Nobody actually ever said that, but otherwise why have it? Now the SPAM button has gone away altogether in 9.0.4 p1. What happened to it?

Also, those "buttons " COMPOSE, REPLY, REPLY ALL, FORWARD, DELETE, ... jump around depending on whether you've got one message or multiple messages clicked/selected. That is a huge pain in the neck when you're going through trying to quickly delete spam. Couldn't you just grey them out rather than having them jump all over the place? It makes the user interface "inconsistent" to have it so modal.
  •  
Radek Sip (Kerio)

The "Spam" (learning) button is hidden when Kerio Anti-spam is licensed and enabled, because the bayes database is not used in this case.

Buttons: I agree with you, but I'm not UX designer Smile

Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
ebatte

So does this mean that marking messages as spam and/or moving them to the spam folder has no effect in Apple Mail, iOS or any other client?
  •  
jimsky7

Spam filtering still works locally in Apple Mail.
  •  
ebatte

Thanks, but that wasn't my question. Users need to understand if they think they are training the spam filter by moving messages to the junk folder, or out of it, on any device. This is how it has always worked before. Is that how it still works?
  •  
Radek Sip (Kerio)

The moving of message to/from spam folder in any client has no effect on training when bayes is disabled, ie. when Kerio Anti-spam is used.

•  
ebatte

OK, thanks. I understand why this is the case, but I don't like it. What is the user's recourse when the continue to get spam from a particular source?
  •  
scottwilkins

Kerio needs two things to be a serious spam protector. 1. Allow easier training/whitelisting, as it's too difficult for some users (yeah yeah, don't get me started on them...) and 2. Make GEOPIP a part of Kerio.

THEN, it can be considered serious about spam.
  •  
ebatte

Geographic blocking would be great. I also wish we could just create simple rules like: IF <ip_address> has sent <x> number of messages that are SPAM, THEN blacklist that IP.

In the meantime, it might be time for an update KB article on REALLY hardening KC against spam.
  •  
jimsky7

I absolutely agree users need to have control, and that's what I thought was happening on 9.0.3 when the SPAM button was still there even with anti-spam in place. Actually I thought Sophos was still in place and anti-spam was just an added factor. Guess not. Now that the button's gone, my users feel abandoned and like there is no spam control on the Kerio-Connect side at all. (They don't see how many spams are being caught and outright rejected.) True they only see it when they're using Webmail, not when using their own Apple Mail app, but some of them notice.

On Apple Mail, my people use Bayesian filters like SpamSieve which catches almost all of what Kerio-Connect lets through. So they're used to the fully-client-side mechanisms. Personally, I only see about a half dozen spams a day get through to me - between Kerio anti-spam and Spamsieve, almost everything is caught.
  •  
ebatte

Initially I saw a big drop in true spam getting through. Over the past week or so I lightened-up on the blacklist ratings to see what anti-spam was actually rejecting. The result seems to be that a large majority of true spam is caught by anti-spam, but due to bit defender's negative spam ratings we saw a lot more "legitimate" mass mailings making it to user inboxes.

So, this week I have been rigoroulsly unsubscribing from most legitimate was mailings. Today I have only had 4 messages make it past anti-spam and into my apple mail junk folder as of the time I'm writing this (11:43).

What now bothers me is that users think they are flagging messages by marking them as spam (on any device). But its no longer the case, nor is it even possible on the server side. This might train apple mail on OS X but has no effect on iOS or other devices, so it is misleading when using multiple email clients.
  •  
lodewijk

So far we are liking the new Bitdefender based Kerio Anti-spam, a lot less spam seems to make it to our users! Very happy about this! Tnx Kerio!

BUT, now we seem to have a reverse problem, what to do with false positives?
At one Kerio installation the client is reporting a lot of false positives now...we have temporary lowered the Bitdefender Kerio Anti-spam to "Moderate"

What would be the best way to deal with false positives now?
- add sending IP to the white-list?
- make a custom rule for the sending domain?
- report to Bitdefender? (is this even possible?)
  •  
Radek Sip (Kerio)

ebatte wrote on Thu, 02 June 2016 17:43
Geographic blocking would be great.

For example block entire USA...
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries/

Previous Topic: Export Public Folders / Calendars to an .ics - file
Next Topic: Outlook not displaying attachments
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 09:29:10 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00946 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.