Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » How to block Skype with Kerio Control 9
  •  
f.maianti

Send a private message to this user
Hi, i'm trying to figure out how to block access to Skype using my new NG500 running Kerio Control 9.0.3

I googled a lot but i was not able to find a clear response.

Is it possible to block skype with kerio control? I tried by creating a content filter rule with "Internet Phone & VOIP" and action deny, but Skype is still working.

Any hints?
Thanks
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

This is possible in the upcoming 9.1 release, currently available as a release candidate. In your update checker you can enable the option to check also for beta releases if you would like to preview the RC.
This article describes how to block applications such as Skype
http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-control/beta-rc-kerio-cont rol/application-awareness-in-kerio-control-1900.html

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
f.maianti

Thanks for the info, is it possible to know when the 9.1 is scheduled to be released as stable?

I also noticed that now on some computers skype is blocked, while on others it works...maybe not all ports are intercepted by kerio
  •  
f.maianti

I installed the new 9.1 release with application awareness and followed the guide
http:// kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-control/beta-rc-kerio-control/app lication-awareness-in-kerio-control-1900.html
in order to configure the firewall to block skype.

Skype is still working Evil or Very Mad
In the logs i can see that a lot of connections relative to skype are blocked, but chat and calls are still working as usual...

Attached a screenshot with the category/applications blocked in the deny rule.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 June 2016 10:30]

•  
ICT and Me

I have tested too. And indeed Skype keeps working.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
KonstantinDK

I take it, computers are not in the domain?
  •  
f.maianti

All the computers are joined to active directory domain
  •  
KonstantinDK

Doesn't windows domain have tools for this situation?
Can't post links. Google "thewindowsclub windows domain forbid to install application"
There is also a MS tool to allow only preapproved .exe -s to run, I think.
  •  
f.maianti

Yes, i can (and that's what i eventually did) disable the execution of skype.exe via gpo.

I don't see how this is relevant though. We are talking about a feature in kerio control that doesn't work as intended, not about alternative ways to prevent skype execution.
Previous Topic: Kerio Training
Next Topic: ids/ips & sophos update error
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Dec 11 10:53:44 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00913 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.