Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » value of FDB files? (Kerio Outlook Offline Connector FDB files and backup)
  •  
derek_500

Send a private message to this user

Exclusion option[ 2 votes ]
1.Option 1 1 / 50%
2.Option 2 0 / 0%
3.Option 3 1 / 50%
4.None of those back up everything you fool 0 / 0%

Hello all,
I'm sure there are many opinions on this. I don't want to start a flame war or stir up controversy, I'm just curious what others are doing, or what is recommended for people who back up their client's computers regarding the Kerio Outlook offline connector's FDB files. These are pretty big files and change regularly, so many backup systems are constantly backing up these large files. (Yes, some systems can do block level incremental backups but that's not what I'm asking about here) We are refreshing our backup policy and are going to discuss these files and possibly skipping them outright to save space and simplify backups.

What's the raw value of the FDB files to the end user in a client's hard drive failure? As far as I can tell everything is just synchronized with the server, so the loss of FDB files in a disaster is not a big deal. Yes, there is a risk of some offline work being lost, but I get the overall feeling that risk is very small.

I see a few options to exclude these files if appropriate.
1) Exclude all files ending in the .FDB extension
2) Exclude the path C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Kerio\Outlook Connector\Outlook.***\
3) Exclude the path C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Kerio\Outlook Connector\

Option 1) has the risk of some other randomly chosen extension matching.
Option 2) will also exclude 'BASE.FDB' and 'storeids.fld' - what are these files?
Option 3) will exclude everything in 2) plus the tzdefs folder (I figured out what that means, low risk to me) and the debug.log file (also low risk if lost IMO)

What is recommended by Kerio? What are other admins doing in this regard?

Thanks,
-Derek

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2016 18:54]

•  
Bud Durland

We ignore the entire outlook connector folder and recreate the profile when the new hard drive is installed.
  •  
derek_500

Thanks for the reply (and vote). Does anyone know if Kerio has an official stance on this subject? I can't find anything in my search results.
At this stage I'm thinking it will be fine to exclude the entire Outlook Connector folder as well.
Thanks,
-Derek
Previous Topic: KC Client - Calendar: BUG with All Day event
Next Topic: Flooded with spam in the last 24 hours
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Dec 06 18:54:27 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01384 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.