Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SSD for mail store on the server?
  •  
McIrish

Send a private message to this user
Is anyone using SSDs for the mail store on a KC server? The store on our domain is at about 300GB and sync is not always as fast as we'd like. I'm wondering if using a couple 1TB Samsung EVO Pro SSDs in RAID 1 might help. Anyone have experience with this?
  •  
lodewijk

We use SSD's for all kerio stores...but NOT in RAID

something todo with consumer SSD's not designed for RAID use, (RAID was designed for spinning disks)
there are real professional SSD's that are made for RAID use in servers...but they are insanely expensive...

but im not really sure what the deal is with SSD's in RAID
it has been on my list to play around with a Pegasus M4 with SSD's in a RAID
http://www.promise.com/Products/Pegasus/Pegasus2/M4
  •  
TheMilkMen

We only use SSD's. My experience with Kerio Connect is that with non SSD's webmail is slow (bordering on painfully slow)
  •  
McIrish

lodewijk,
You don't have the drives in a RAID 1 (mirror) to prevent data loss if a drive fails? That seems very scary to me. I had a couple SSDs die on me in another server once and they don't die gradually. It's all at once and the data is gone. So, I'd like to do a RAID 1 to be safe as well as our daily backups.

themilkmen,
This is why I want to look at SSDs. It's just getting too slow for domain users with large mailboxes.
  •  
lodewijk

i know i know, we do nightly backups at least...
but so far not a single SSD has died on us yet, so I have become over confidant Smile

we did have a couple of SSD that needed replacement (older Samsung 840 non pro) due to wear and tear by the heavy use in a mac server.
but we have DriveDX running on al mac's so we got notified when it was time to replace them.
  •  
ComputerBudda

I've got Samsung SSD running RAID1 for HyperV VM. They are not bootable but work great for VM.
  •  
anschluss

I use SSDs on five Kerio Connect installations. The oldest has been running on a single Samsung 830 Pro 512GB since December 2012, newer ones have 840 or 850 Pro drives. I would refrain from using "Evo" or other TLC drives since the write endurance is far below that of the MLC models.

Today I would probably get Samsung SM863 drives which are only slighly more expensive than "consumer" grade drives.
  •  
McIrish

Thanks for all the info. I did end up buying two Samsung SM863 1.9TB drives to put into RAID 1. Next, I'll need to copy the mail store to the new drives.

Kerio should come out with a live migrate mail store feature. That would be great when having to move the mail store to a new set of drives without downtime. My plan is to do an initial sync to the new drives overnight using Robocopy. That will take a long time but I don't need to turn off the mail services for it to run. The next night, I will shut down Kerio Connect and do another sync with Robocopy. Since it only needs to copy what was changed, it should only be a couple hours of no mail. Then I will point to the new store. Seems pretty straightforward. (famous last words)
  •  
TheMilkMen

I do something similar with Rsync for Disaster recovery purposes and it works really well.

We installed a Kerio Trial on a remote server and stopped all the services. Then after the initial rsync was done we run an rsync script every 15 minutes. If we ever need to take a server down there is one to take its place and if one ever fails the replacement is no more 15 minutes out of date.

This allows us to do upgrades and server repairs in real time without any downtime for the end users. Of course there is some firewall configuration that has to be done but that can be scripted too.

I got the idea from here http://emailphoenix.com when I had to move a 100GB Kerio store from one data centre to another and realised most options required a lot off downtime. I would have tried emailphoenix but I wasn't willing to shell out $200 for software hat didn't have a free trial.
  •  
McIrish

I've had the SSD RAID in Hyper V going for a month now. Honestly, we are not seeing any speed increase for the mail store compared to when we had SAS drives. I do notice a huge speed increase with SSDs on client computers. That's well worth it but I thought we would see some benefit with SSD on the mail store but there none for us.
Previous Topic: Synchronization Error
Next Topic: Duplicate accounts created
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 09:26:20 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01109 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.