Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Youtube always in Restrict mode (Restrict mode always active in Youtube when using it through Kerio Control)
  •  
Reinaldo

Send a private message to this user
Hi,
A problem with videos in Youtube appeared recently for us here (Restricted mode cannot be deactivated) and even searching the Internet we could not find a solution.
We noticed that behind the firewall (Kerio Control) the Youtube Restricted Mode is ALWAYS active being impossible to change this.
We found something even more strange: when we are using Kerio VPN Client remotely (without passing the traffic through the firewall) the same behaviour appears.
If we turn off Kerio VPN Client then immediately the videos start to play.
Is this behavior expected?
What can be causing this?
Thanks.
  •  
lessore

Hi Reinaldo,

have you enabled SafeSearch ? I guess this is causing the problem.

Regards
  •  
ksnyder (KERIO)

I agree with <_at_>lessore. I've experienced the same behavior with YouTube when SafeSearch is enabled. After disabling, the problem went away.

Ken Snyder
Director, Sales Engineering | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
Reinaldo

Hi <_at_>lessore and Ken, I've tried this without success. I'm really curious to understand that since this can happen to a customer and I don't have a clue of what the issue is.
And the Restricted Mode being active permanently when using Kerio VPN Client is even more bizarre.
Any other ideas?
  •  
lessore

Hi,
you can flush caches in your browser and computer or wait for rewriting the caches. It may take up to 24 hours.
  •  
Reinaldo

After rebooting Control I was able to navigate to Youtube without restricted mode. Thanks.
But can you tell me why this was happening when I was using Kerio VPN Client from home as well? Is Safesearch interfering in my home navigation?
Thanks for your help.
  •  
Carsten Maas (Kerio)

Have you maybe activated "VPN clients access the Internet through the VPN." in the VPN interfaces settings for the Kerio VPN Client?

ALL traffic will then routed through the Kerio Control, when you are connected via VPN

Carsten Maas
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer
Kerio Technologies

Kerio Deutschland youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/KerioDeutschland
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

It's DNS caching issues. SafeSearch works with DNS. When you enable SafeSearch, Google, Youtube, Yahoo or other sites supporting it will resolve their hostnames to "safe" versions of their websites (IP addresses).

DNS records are cached on the Control and on clients for some period of time. That's why enabling/disabling SafeSearch might not work immediately in some cases. You need to wait for DNS records in cache to expire or manually flush the cache (restart is the easiest way).

If you use VPN and then disconnect, the result is the same - DNS records are already cached and you need to wait for them to expire (minutes or hours, depends on DNS domain settings) or manually flush local DNS cache.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio

Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
Looking for help ? - http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
Reinaldo

Nope, I did not activate "VPN clients access the Internet through the VPN." I understand that this way I would suffer the same issue.
But how is this happening without this option selected just by using Kerio VPN Client?
Maybe a bug?
  •  
rjokl

With connected VPN client all DNS queries goes through Control, so local names are resolvable. Therefore SafeSearch works for VPN cleants too.
Previous Topic: Kerio control rest api
Next Topic: Blocked Google Chromecast
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Dec 11 10:55:58 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01079 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.