Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Changing Authentication Servers
  •  
jcooper

Send a private message to this user
Hi Folks,

I'm changing my KC from authenicating to Open Directory on Mac 10.6.8 to Active Directory on Win 2012r2. I set up a test kerio server under the Demo license with a made up domain and got the connection established and it seemed to authenticate fine.

My questions are:

When I change the authentication settings, I want to be sure that my existing accounts remain intact along with all their folders. Changing authentication servers does do anything scary like wipe out my message store and replace it with an empty one does it? I'm assuming/hoping that changing the Directory Service settings will mean users will just have to enter the credentials they have on the new server, but all their messages will be there, right?

Also,I have some inactive mail accounts that do not exist on my AD server. Will those accounts and folders still be there after I switch? Obviously, I understand I won't be able to get to them, but I'd like to change them to local accounts because sometimes (rarely) we do need to look at some of their old emails.

Is there anything I'm missing besides changing the Directory Service settings? Any caveats to watch for when authenticating to AD?

Thanks so much!

Jeff

[Updated on: Sun, 07 August 2016 15:38]

•  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

All data and settings for each user is stored in a corresponding folder in the mail store. For example, a user with login account bob<_at_>domain.com would have a folder named "bob" in the folder named "domain.com". Bob's folder is is NOT removed when you disconnect from a domain. The only way Bob's data will be removed is by deleting his account in the server administration and choosing the specific option of deleting his mailbox data. If you create the user Bob either mapped from a directory server or as a local user, Kerio Connect will match his login name to a folder on the file system.
So, assuming you maintain the same login names, the folders will remain intact.
Of course it's always a good idea to use the built-in backup feature of Kerio Connect.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
jcooper

Thanks.

I actually discovered the answer yesterday accidentally. :/

I was looking at something on my test server and changed it back to the original settings (Open Directory), but when I went to change it BACK to AD I pulled up the wrong page and did it on my live server (oops).

In any case, after the 20 minutes of panic when everyone's email started freaking out and my phone wouldn't stop ringing, I discovered that yes the folders were intact. Smile

But there was something in the Outlook 2011 for Mac (maybe it's the same in newer versions and on Windows too): I could not send or receive mail until I quit and restarted the app, even though the credentials were identical. Also, when I did quit and restart, it then proceeded to resync from the server, as if a new account was set up in outlook. I had people use the KC web interface for the morning while their outlook inboxes repopulated (as an architecture firm we have lots of emails with lots of large attachments, so it takes a while).

Anyway, just an FYI for snyone looking to do this. Outlook 2011 for Mac (possibly other versions too) will resync all folders when it reconnects to the server after the change has been made, even though no login settings were changed in Outlook.

Thanks,

Jeff
Previous Topic: Connect Client - inline images max 3 MB
Next Topic: Redirecting Emails from domains with auth
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Dec 02 20:49:25 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02711 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.