Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Spurious domain (odd ball domain that i don't know what to do with)
  •  
macgvr

Send a private message to this user
This may not be the correct place for this question but I hope someone can help me. I have a problem with a spurious domain that I can't find so I can get rid of it. The DNS reports keep telling me that I have mail.domain.com and a spurious domain, mail2.domain.com . I have checked the the registrar for the domain but they were unable to find mail2.domain.com. I had thought to actually created that DNS entry and then after a suitable length of time delete it since I don't need or want it, and it wouldn't map to the helo message from the mail server. Would that create any issues down the road, or period, if I do that?
  •  
Think Fixed

I don't even understand the issue that you're having. I'm assuming that "mail.domain.com" and "mail2.domain.com" are just examples of the domains you're having problems with. Can you describe this in more detail? Knowing the specific domains would help. Have you contacted Kerio support about this?

Howie Isaacks
Systems Admin | Apple Solutions Consultant
Think Fixed LLC, Dallas and Fort Worth

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
macgvr

Here is the issue, I have the mail sub domain setup correctly for that domain. Somewhere out there is a mail2 sub domain and I have no idea where that exists or who has set that up. The issue is there is no reverse ip address for that sub domain and I am a bit concerned that it may impact mail delivery. It may not and I may be concerned for no reason. My other concern was, if I actually set it up and then delete it, will that solve the problem or create a new one. Never ran into this before. I have not called Kerio on this was just hoping some smart folks on this forum might be able to guide me.
  •  
Think Fixed

This would only impact you if outside people are sending to that other domain. If you want to find out more about that domain, plug it into mxtoolbox.com. There are a lot of great tools on that site. I could tell you how to query the DNS for this domain manually, but why do that when there's this really great website Smile When you do an MX record lookup, it will show you what DNS servers responded, and that will point the way for you. Also, you should contact Kerio support so that you can tell them everything without having to withold the domain information.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
macgvr

Thanks for your response. I rather figured that might be the case but wasn't sure. It was producing errors in the various DNS reports I ran though and that concerned me since I didn't know where that information was coming from. I actually did discover where the wrong DNS settings were. They were still being managed by an old ISP even though I had asked the client to cancel the DNS service with them once I moved the DNS elsewhere. I had actually used all those tools to try to find out where those settings might be but got nothing. Actually, I got the Expiry information but nothing regarding the old ISP. I am glad that I finally remembered the old ISP and followed up on that because some of their DNS info was wrong and while I wasn't aware that it was causing problems that would be a difficult thing to track down, if it were to do so. Even though it didn't seem to be causing email issues, I am glad to get this resolved since having some unknown source out there was bothering me. As a side note, I now realize that adding the mail2 sub domain and then deleting it would not have resolved this issue. Once I deleted the entry, the old information would simply have reappeared. Adding that entry to the current DNS service would not have really taken over ownership of it, especially if I deleted it later.
  •  
Think Fixed

It sounds like you have a handle on this. Reverse lookups or "PTR" (pointer records) are handled by the ISP that owns the IP addresses that you have assigned to your server. If there's a problem with a PTR, your current ISP would be the ones who handle that.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
Previous Topic: Downgrade form 9.1.1 to 9.1.0
Next Topic: KOC 9.0.4 client with 9.1.1 Kerio Server
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Dec 09 16:24:47 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00405 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.