Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook for Mac (delegation issue)
  •  
acq@ghi-dc.org

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I have 2 questions.
What is proper way to open a shared calendar in Outlook for Mac? So far I have done this through adding the users email address in the 'People I am a delegate for' box under 'Delegates' in account settings. Today I discovered that this leads to a serious issue. If someone's account is being added it also becomes available a send address, i.e. I am able to send emails on this person's behalf. This is also true for users who are not sharing anything with me. I understand that this is the intended usage for this particular box. However, it was my understanding that delegation would be handled by the server not the client. So, even if I would add an account but that user did not allow me to act on his or her behalf I should not be able to send those emails. This leads to my second question. Is there a way to prevent this behavior on the server for Outlook for Mac (I do not see it in Outlook for Windows)?

First question: What is proper way to open a shared calendar in Outlook for Mac?
Second question: How to prevent users from sending emails on behalf of somebody else if not a delegate.

Thanks you.
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
acq@ghi-dc.org

Thank you Brian.
I checked both links. For the user's calendar I get an error message. (I just verified: I have been added with 'Editor' permissions. I am able to subscribe in the weblient and in Outlook for Windows.)
Please see the other 2 screen shots in regard to the sender policy and domain security. This is what it looks like on our server. Looks very much like what your link suggests except for 'Local clients' under the 'Sender Policy' tab. Do think making this a little more restrictive, e.g. excluding user IP addresses, might solve this?

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Kerio-blue wrote on Fri, 09 September 2016 21:49
Is there a way to prevent this behavior on the server for Outlook for Mac (I do not see it in Outlook for Windows)?

No, this is Outlook feature when you use delegated or shared mailboxes. It can be addressed on server side with Sender Policy so the server rejects those messages with spoofed sender.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Technical support: http://www.kerio.com/support
------------------
  •  
acq@ghi-dc.org

Thank you, Pavel.

I can confirm that handling the IP address group a little more restrictive actually works.
Since adding a shared calendar the Microsoft still does not work, I can at least subscribe to a users shared calendar now, minus the ability to spoof emails.
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

The calendar sharing should work. Make sure you're using a recent version of Kerio Connect. Otherwise you might try reaching out to our technical support. Note that this method of calendar sharing only works with your default "Calendar" folder. It doesn't work with custom calendars.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
  •  
acq@ghi-dc.org

That could be the issue. The user created another (second) calendar.
So, this leaves only 2 options for calendars which are not the default calendars: one either has to use delegation (and restrict spoofing locally) or make it a public calendar.

Thanks guys.
Previous Topic: Public Email Folder with restriction to only send as specific user
Next Topic: Synchronization conflict all new users
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Dec 08 08:52:57 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03907 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.