Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Operator 2.5.0 Desktop Client (adminstrative control?)
  •  
billbrigg

Send a private message to this user
Okay, I installed 2.5.0 on our lab system then logged in to the new Operator Softphone from a Windows machine.

I was greeted with "Welcome to Kerio Operator Softphone. You can make audio and video calls directly from your computer. Computer call for extension 101 is enabled".

Well...no I can't - the PC does not have a microphone (or a camera). I place a call to that extension and get a popup window in the softphone and I can "Accept" the call. At this point I get a warning "Media device (microphone or camera) was not found on your computer".

Is there any administrative control of this feature? Ideally, the computer calling capabilities could be enabled/disabled on a per user basis (I did look for this ability and could not find it).

Can the behavior of the client be changed so that computer calling is not the default configuration? Let the user verify the system is capable then enable computer calling if it is needed.

12 years as a VoIP service provider has taught us that PCs are not good telephones. Part of this may be due to our customer base: our primary market is small business, as you would expect their PCs are usually old and not well managed.

I am not questioning the need for a PC softphone, they fit certain requirements and can be a valuable part of a VoIP solution. However, to turn one on by default (without checking hardware) with no administrative control will cause a lot of confusion with our end users and generate lots of trouble tickets.

Thanks,
Bill

•  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

Hi Bill, without a working microphone the Kerio Operator Softphone will not be entirely useful. If you are looking for a way for users to take advantage of click to call functionality, you may recommend your users to install the click to call plugin, which may be more suitable as it works with any numbers you see in a web browser.
http://kb.kerio.com/1616
Otherwise we will look into the ability for the Kerio Operator Softphone to improve the detection of media devices.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
billbrigg

Brian,

My point exactly. Without a microphone computer calling should not even be an option.

I am not looking for click to call or any other additional functionality - I am looking to continue to provide the 2.4.x features of the Operator User Web Portal.

Bill
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

Otherwise, you can use the switcher in the top right corner of the Kerio Operator Softphone to change to the click to call functionality by selecting the extension you want to dial from.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
jackl

Hi, i got the following error after upgrade. the client side no matter web client or desktop client.

"Failed to get CallHistory"

In the error log, i see the following message:
UserCallHistory::get - Failed to prepare query "select Guid, FromNum, FromName, ToNum, Status, CallInitialized, CallDuration, AnsweredDuration from cdr where (ToNum in ('127') or FromNum in ('127')) order by CallInitialized desc, Guid desc limit 100".

Any idea?

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2016 23:26]

•  
Jan Pejša (Kerio)

Quote:
Ideally, the computer calling capabilities could be enabled/disabled on a per user basis (I did look for this ability and could not find it).

Each user is able to enable and disable "Computer" extension for receiving calls (or for outgoing calls). User can switch to some without "Computer" extension - see the attached screenshot. When the "Computer" extension is not selected, the "Computer" extension is not registered. Is it OK?

•  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

jackl wrote on Thu, 29 September 2016 23:22

"Failed to get CallHistory"

Hi,

can you please send me <fjenicek<_at_>kerio.com> a support info file. You can generate it by clicking a link at the bottom of the System Health screen.

Thank you,
Filip
  •  
jackl

I will send it to you via email.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 September 2016 18:44]

•  
billbrigg

Quote:
Each user is able to enable and disable "Computer" extension for receiving calls (or for outgoing calls). User can switch to some without "Computer" extension - see the attached screenshot. When the "Computer" extension is not selected, the "Computer" extension is not registered. Is it OK?

Jan,

Not really - we need administrative control of this feature.

Further evaluation the past couple of days shows web computer calling does not fit our service model. The user web interface still has value (call forwarding/ringing rules, voicemail access, favorite buttons) and we need to continue to support these features, however, we need to disable computer calling.

Maybe computer calling could be a PBX Service and be enabled/disabled at the system level?

Bill
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Would it be sufficient to enable/disable it at the system level or is an individual user level needed as well?

Vladimir
  •  
billbrigg

Hi Vladimir,

In an earlier post I suggested system level control would be adequate. After further consideration, I have changed my mind - administrative control is needed at the user level.

Bill
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

I agree with that. My idea is to have a switch at the user level, on by default, editable via multi-edit.
  •  
billbrigg

I don't see this in version 2.5.1 - is there a timeline for implementation?
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

I am almost finished with the implementation. It will be part of Operator 2.5.2. I can't tell you exactly when it is going to be released as it as it mostly depends on other fixes and their importance.
Previous Topic: Kerio Operator 2.5.1
Next Topic: Operator 2.5.0 phenomena
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Dec 11 10:55:15 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09922 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.