Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook 2016 on Win7 with K. offline Conn. 9.1.1 (Outlook freezing)
  •  
wag357

Send a private message to this user
I starting to upgrade Office 2010 to 2016.
I have 2 users (myself and the sales mgr) running Win7 Pro x64 with 32bit Office 2016 Pro volume license (not 365) and we both have the same issue.
Our Outlook hangs when moving back and forth in a mailbox viewing emails with images, like newsletters. Outlook will always hang after viewing 3-5 emails growing more and more sluggish until it locks up altogether.
I am running a dual proc HP Z600 with a Quadro K220 vid card and he has a Lenovo m series with on-board Intel video.

I have tried:
vid driver updates
turning off hardware graphics accel in Outlook
complete de/re of Office
PC maintenance (defrag scandisk etc)
complete de/re of Kerio clients.

I'm starting to believe it's the Kerio client but I have no proof.
I'm just putting this out there to see if others have seen this and can point me in the right direction?

Next I will try removing KofflineC and connecting via imap.
Webmail works beautifully. (I actually prefer it to Outlook but I"m forced to use what my users do.)

Thanks for any advice!
-Walt
  •  
ksnyder (KERIO)

Outlook 2013 and 2016 should use Exchange Activesync rather than KOFF (which is what I assume you mean by Kerio client).

http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/email-clients/acti vesync/creating-exchange-activesync-accounts-in-microsoft-ou tlook-1755.html

Ken Snyder
Director, Sales Engineering | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
wag357

Correct, I was referring to KOFF.
KOFF 9.1.1 says it is compatible with 2013 and 2016
Why would I use Active Sync with all of it's Kerio limitations if KOFF supports 2013 and 2016?

From the Kerio site:

Kerio Outlook Connector (with offline caching Edition)

32-bit version:
Microsoft Outlook 2016
Microsoft Outlook 2013 (including Click-to-Run)
Microsoft Outlook 2010 (SP1 or SP2)
Microsoft Outlook 2007 (SP3)

Using Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition), Microsoft Outlook may run on:
Windows Server 2003 (SP2)
Windows Vista (Home, Business, Enterprise or Ultimate edition)
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 10
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2012 R2
Terminal Server on Windows Server 2003 (SP2), Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation or Windows Server 2012.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher must be present.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2016 18:36]

•  
wag357

Further, I tried connecting via imap after removing KOFF from my machine and it seems to be working fine. BUT imap and EAS are nowhere near ideal for my users.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

wag357 wrote on Tue, 27 September 2016 18:35

Why would I use Active Sync with all of it's Kerio limitations

They are not Kerio limitations. It is a limitation of Outlook and ActiveSync.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Technical support: http://www.kerio.com/support
------------------
  •  
wag357

OK, I stand corrected but the question remains.
If KOFF says it is 2013 and 2016 compatible why am I being told to use EAS?

There was an old post I found where someone tried to use EAS or imap with 2013 and was told to use KOFF as it is "the best choice":

gewooon • a year ago

What is the best way to use outlook 2013, i have used is with and without the connector and both the options result in many sync problems.

Carsten Maas (Kerio) Mod gewooon • a year ago

For full functionality, the Outlook Connector is the best choice.

For any other technical issues, contact our support team:
  •  
wag357

No one has any words of advice for me?
Am I off-base in asking about this?
I've been a loyal Kerio evangelist for more than 14 years and the first time I hit a snag I get nothing?
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

You will get the most functionality using the Kerio Outlook Connector. However it has some challenges:
- Third party plugins. Many plugins (especially anti-virus or other security related) don't know anything about KOFF and often times interfere with its functionality, resulting in unpredictable or undesirable behavior like you described in your first post.
- Unforeseen Outlook updates. Microsoft also doesn't know anything about KOFF and sometimes releases security updates that break functionality in KOFF.
- Multitude of Outlook versions. You can run Outlook where the profile is stored remotely. There are special versions that don't include MAPI (e.g. student editions). There are special installations like click to run. Each version has service packs which are notably different and there are many Outlook versions for many platforms for 32 and 64 bit. Supporting and maintaining quality across such a highly variable platform is extremely difficult.

The outcome of these challenges may manifest itself in the form of slow performance, ambiguous errors, failed installations, or an otherwise undesirable user experience.

If you use Exchange Activesync with Outlook 2013/2016 you will have much of the same functionality as the Kerio Outlook Connector, but with the benefit of a native Outlook experience so that you will not encounter the issues previously mentioned.

If you would like to use the Kerio Outlook Connector it is of course supported on Outlook 2013/2016, but I advise you to reach out to our technical support team to address the issues from your original post.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
  •  
wag357

Brian,

Thanks for your response!
You can see how I was confused as I was told by ksnyder above to use AS rather than KOFF. When I look at the disadvantages of activesync as stated on the Kerio site, we would lose a lot of the functionality we've come to know and love about KOFF and my users will instantly respond negatively.

I've never had an issues with KOFF on any version of Outlook in the past so when this cropped up and I was able to resolve the Outlook issues by removing KOFF I was surprised. (We use no other Outlook add-ins)

As an old IT pro I understand that MS patches and other factors can cause issues and I was hoping, in my original email, to hear something like "KOFF 9.1.1 should be working fine with O2016 so it could be an issue with a patch or other issue so please call support" But I got "use AS" so that threw me off and made me concerned for the future of KOFF. I'll call support and see if we can work together to resolve this.

Thanks again!
--Walt
Previous Topic: Migrationn from 7.1.3 to 9.1.1
Next Topic: Kerio became slow with 10 users
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 09:28:05 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01083 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.