Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Can I use Windows Server 2008R2 Backup?
  •  
AbboBasT

Send a private message to this user
Hi, this is my first post and I am a Kerio noob so please be gentle!

We have acquired a new customer who is running Kerio Connect v9.0.3 on a Dell Windows Server 2008R2 x64 server. They have 146GB of mailstore and have never had a backup! Shocked

We have supplied 3x 2TB USB 3.0 hard drives for backup purposes but from what I read the Kerio Full backup process is very slow, plus this Dell PE T310 server is USB 2.0 only.

My question is, can I safely run Windows Server Backup to get a full backup of this server? I realise this will not give me as fully featured a backup as the Kerio native backup but it would give me something!

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Regards,

Paul.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2016 20:37]

•  
Vicky Tripp (Kerio)

Hi Paul,

You could try setting the backups off on Friday evening (at the end of the working day) and let Kerio run a backup over the weekend as this is the recommended way to backup Kerio Connect.

If you were to try using something else to backup I would recommend that this is done with the Kerio Connect service stopped as this may help in preventing any file lock ups and potential issues with index files.

The dangers of using a 3rd party backup tool with the Kerio store is that you run the risk of the files locking and maybe corrupting index files.

I hope this helps some what but hopefully other users will comment on their experiences with the Windows backups.

All the best,
Vicky

Vicky Tripp
Kerio Technical Support Engineer
  •  
AbboBasT

Thanks very much for your reply Vicky.

Unfortunately this customer is open 5.5 days a week, closing half day Saturday and all day Sunday. I'll try starting the Kerio backup on Saturday afternoon and see how that goes.

Are email services (especially to phones) available during the native Kerio backup?

Also, if I do opt to go for a 3rd party backup solution and stop the Kerio Connect service during the backup does this result in email services being unavailable?

Many thanks again,

Paul.

•  
Vicky Tripp (Kerio)

Hi Paul,

During a Kerio backup emails will still flow through into the system and deliver to users mailboxes, their phones should still get emails come through to them. The only time they may not see new emails show up immediately is while Kerio is backing up their mailbox before moving onto the next user.

If you were to go down the 3rd party route and stop Kerio Connect to do the back then no email would reach the server at all as the Kerio Connect service would not be running. This would also stop the users from connecting to their mailbox via webmail etc... but email already synced to their iPhones would still be visible.

All the best,
Vicky

Vicky Tripp
Kerio Technical Support Engineer
  •  
Bud Durland

AbboBasT wrote on Mon, 28 November 2016 13:14
We have acquired a new customer who is running Kerio Connect v9.0.3 on a Dell Windows Server 2008R2 x64 server. They have 146GB of mailstore and have never had a backup!

We have supplied 3x 2TB USB 3.0 hard drives for backup purposes but from what I read the Kerio Full backup process is very slow, plus this Dell PE T310 server is USB 2.0 only.

The Kerio backup process works completely in the background, and does not significantly impact normal operations. Obviously a 'full' backup takes longer than a 'differential'.

Generally accepted practice is to have a full backup on the weekend, then differentials each day. Kerio is actually pretty flexible about the target of the backup. It can be the same disk as the mail store (if you have room), a different disk (recommended), or a volumne on some other machine on the network. Ideally, you would make the backup, then copy the backup to your USB disk as an off-site backup.
Previous Topic: Problem Adding Domain
Next Topic: Changing from Apple Open Directory to Samba 4
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Dec 06 18:52:42 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00799 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.