Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Trusted SSL certificate - worthwhile?
  •  
beachmat

Send a private message to this user
I was wondering if using a trusted SSL certificate rather than self-signed has any benefit other than convenience for users not having to manually trust a self-signed one? Does it increase trustworthiness of messages sent and reduce the chances of them being judged as spam?

Thanks
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

The best way to reduce the likelihood of your messages being flagged as spam is to use DKIM. http://kb.kerio.com/1482
You should also verify that you have rDNS is configured for your outgoing IP address. Digitally signing messages is also a good practice but in this case you will need to purchase personal certificates and install them on each client.
Regarding trusted SSL certificates, I highly recommend purchasing one as some applications may not allow communication with untrusted certificates, and from the user's perspective it can be difficult to trust your self-signed certificate. You need only a basic email validated certificate which I've found is very inexpensive if purchased through Enom (www.enom.com). They resell GeoTrust and Comodo certs for about 14 USD per year.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
beachmat

Thanks for that. We have DKIM and rDNS set up but we're still having trouble with Barracuda email security.

Is mobile compatibility really an issue when choosing certificates? If I understand correctly, it's only an issue with wildcard certificates isn't it?
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

The issue with wildcard certificates refers only to the Kerio Operator Softphone for mobile devices. Otherwise wildcard certs are perfectly acceptable AFAIK.
The important consideration is to purchase a signed certificate from a trusted CA.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
Previous Topic: How can I download a certain folder with messages
Next Topic: How to restrict max. Message size for draft folder?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Dec 08 08:52:10 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01347 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.