Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Bandwidth issues in Hyper-V
  •  
Wout

Send a private message to this user
Hello all.

Recently I installed the Kerio Control 9.1.4 build 1535 on a test server (Dell 1950 8GB RAM, 2X Intel Xeon CPUs 2xBroadcom Gigabit Ethernet cards).

Now, when testing the capabilities, everything works great! Except for Netflix on the Samsung TV. It is not willing to load or buffer.
This on the Kerio BASIC config. Hyper-V NIC2 "WAN" Connection is set on VLAN2 on my core switch. In other words, fresh install without changes.

Afterwards, I decided to test this in Hyper-V (Server 2012R2 Hyper-V Core). So I wiped the server and installed it. Afterwards, the Kerio Control as a VM.

Tested Netflix, works perfectly but the network speed is capped at 100~110 MBITS. My provider can give me 192 mbit/s down and 20 mbit/s up. And this is capable when Kerio runs on the server hardware (NOT VM).
Tried to change parameters on the Hyper-V host and VM and within Kerio Control, nothing helps.

Can someone help me to find the problem and solve it? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2016 14:17]

•  
Wout

Any ideas? Anyone?
  •  
holzapple

Hi Wout,

perfomance with virtualized Controls is afaik very poor. More than 100 MBit won't be possible.
We ran different tests with VMware-based Control systems that ran on a IBM HA-cluster and different hardware appliances. Actually we have a Control running on a customized Nexcom NSA3150 appliance Intel® Core™ i7-4790S CPU (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz) 4th Generation / Haswell with 8 GB RAM.
and had on a 1Gbit/1Gbit-fibreline the following bandwiths:

upload with complete UTM = 271 Mbits/sec
dito. download = 327 Mbits/sec

upload with inactive ID/IPS = 904 Mbits/sec
dito. download = 924 Mbits/sec

The Control version was the actual 9.1.4.

Cheers,
Christoph
  •  
Wout

So, on your virtual appliance it should obtain the speed with Intrusion Prevention System off...

Well, I also tried that. I disabled all the CPU related services like IPS, Antivirus, Anti-Snooping and so on... Still the same speed...
  •  
holzapple

We decided to run Kerio Control on separate hardware appliances. The poor performance is mainly because Snort is not multithread capable and until today Kerio Control is not yet full 64bit.
Beside a better choice of special network hardware appliances it is from the security point of view recommended to secure the VM-system with a separate security-system and use virtual security-systems if needed as a protection within the VM-cluster
Previous Topic: Bandwidth management and QoS
Next Topic: additional feeds
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Jun 28 19:43:10 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00393 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.