Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Bandwidth management and QoS (Bandwidth management and QoS )
  •  
Se7enSins

Send a private message to this user
I was searching and reading through kb.kerio.com, but I didn't find explanations. I've got the problem in understanding how the 'bandwidth management and QoS' works. Moreover, I need to understand the work of balancing, particularly 'weight' parameter.

1) How reservation works in 'Bandwidth management and QoS', if I reserve 2 Mbit/s to some user, so that speed permanently occupies network capacity? So, that if my Internet speed is 6 Mbit/s and I reserve 2 Mb/sec from "User1", this speed is occupied and it doesn't matter if 'User 1' uses it, or not?

2) I have two providers to give us the Internet. So, I have 2 Internet-interfaces. Both use setting 'Use for Link Load Balancing', they have 'weight' parameter. What does it mean? How I can understand it and set the values? I didn't't find any concrete information on the forums, only assumptions. The thing is while reserving the speed, speed of the group 'Employees' is becoming 0.5 Mbit/s, although all in all the network is not occupied. It seems that reserved speed is permanently occupied.

Kerio Control
8.1.1 patch 1 build 1019

[Updated on: Mon, 05 December 2016 08:46]

•  
ksnyder

Send a private message to this user
Reservations are "on-demand" only. If "User1" is not active on the network, the bandwidth is not reserved for him/her. The full pipe would be available to other users/traffic.

The weight is a ratio of traffic for each interface. If WAN1 has a weight of 1 and WAN2 has a weight of 2, WAN2 will manage 2X the traffic of WAN1. One strategy for setting weights might be to do so based on any differences in the speeds of your two WAN connections. If WAN1 is 5Mbps and WAN2 is 10Mbps, a weight strategy like the one I just mentioned could be sensible.

Ken Snyder
Previous Topic: PPPoE and static IP
Next Topic: Bandwidth issues in Hyper-V
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Aug 24 12:28:39 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00390 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.