Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect Backups Taking Forever
  •  
thekrazykaveman

Send a private message to this user
My boss and I have a backup set to run every week on Sunday, but we're finding that it's taking 24+ hours to backup our one terabyte of data. We're backing up onto Western Digital Black Hard Drives. Has anyone else experienced this before/does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  •  
Bud Durland

That's about the going rate. Choices are:

• Set up a full backup on one day (Saturday), incrementals the others
  • Use some other backup mechanism such as rSync or Robocopy

•  
McIrish

We've seen the same thing. I only have 500GB of mail and it takes 36 hours for it to complete. I have it start on Saturday evening and it isn't done till around lunch on Monday. I have SSDs, so speed of the drive can't be a factor. Maybe I will need to look for some other backup strategy. I've used Robocopy a lot in the past, but was hoping to use the Kerio backup utility.
I wonder what happened to slow it down so drastically.
  •  
gmaoret

ISSUE: it is slow because it has to copy myriads of little files (every single e-mail is a single EML file) and so there is a big loss of time for read/write/close operations.

SOLUTION: use virtualized HDD (VHD, VHDX, VMDK or so on) for Kerio Storage and then backup the entire V-HD. This method is very fast because it has to copy a single big file.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 January 2017 09:22]

•  
thekrazykaveman

Thanks; we're going to look into doing a virtualized HDD since we're already running the server as a vm.
  •  
McIrish

Backing up our 2TB Kerio Connect server with their backup utility was 36 hours. I switched to backing up the VM via Veeam and it backed up in only a couple hours. WOW! Great call. I will keep doing backups that way and skip the internal backup.
Previous Topic: Kerio Connect Admin service running, but Outlook connector is showing offline
Next Topic: Moving of Kerio Connect to different server with new OS
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Jun 25 14:10:22 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00450 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.