Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Crazy expanding mailboxes when deleting lots of messages in Apple Mail
  •  
g.slager

Send a private message to this user
Hi there,

In the last weeks I have encountered a really strange problem when deleting lots of messages in Apple Mail.

Server specs:
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1, x86_64
Kerio Connect: 9.2.1 (2397)

Client specs:
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1
Apple Mail 10.1 (3251)

Situation:
My sent messages box still contained a lot of messages from 2015 (and a bit from 2014), so I decided to delete the bulk of it (1.995 messages).
First deletion: sent messages to trash
Second deletion: delete from trash

When permanently deleting from Apple Mail's trashcan, the activity window says something like 'moving messages', this seemingly takes an endless amount of time, but ok. When I decided to check the Kerio Admin console, my mailbox grew from 4.1 GB (before deleting anything) to 33 GB in a little over one hour of time.

I stopped Kerio Connect on the server, rebooted the server, but even after that, the mailbox continued to grow. I eventually ended up salvaging as much e-mails as possible and I just deleted my entire account.

This is the second time this has happened (a couple of weeks earlier it was the mailbox of a colleague). His mailbox grew from 4 GB up to 135 GB. He didn't tell my about his mail problems until the end of the day so it had lot's of time to somehow 'grow'.

Can anyone tell me more about this strange issue? My colleagues that use Outlook do not have this problem when deleting bulk messages, so it seems it's an Apple Mail thing.
  •  
Brian Reichow

I have observed the same thing recently. Kerio Connect 9.2.0 running on Mac OS X 10.10.5, with clients using Mail.app on El Capitan or Sierra.

When end users delete large numbers of messages, the process will often screw up and the Deleted Items folder will grow to an insane size. We've resorted to telling them to do all mass deletions through webmail.

We have always told people not to delete more than 2000 messages at once, and to wait for all activity to complete before deleting another batch, but that guideline isn't enough any more. What's causing this to happen?

[Updated on: Mon, 20 February 2017 16:09]

•  
g.slager

Good to see, this isn't a local server problem. I hope someone from Kerio can respond to this issue.
  •  
SebStar

We have the same problem for ages.
Running the Kerio Server and Mailstore on a SSD seems to increase the number of mails we can delete without having this issue. But It could just be my imagination.
How ever to move or delete large folders we still use the webmail.
Previous Topic: Out of Office Auto replay
Next Topic: Three BitDefender Questions
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Mar 26 07:17:59 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00962 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.