Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Problems in selecting email client (Can't seem to get any email client to work properly)
  •  
bj

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

I let myself be talked into a Kerio Connect Cloud account managed by one of the approved Kerio partners, and I am only very moderately happy. I've decided to write down my grievances here, in the hope that somebody may offer a solution. It mainly revolves around email clients.

The Kerio client (for windows) is literally unusable for me as a business user. It misses the following two essentials (as far as I have been able to ascertain, maybe I am wrong):
1) The ability to save an individual message, for instance to store it with the rest of my clients' (non-email) files. Really, is there no way to export/save a message? Who ever thought that was a superfluous feature must be living in a different world.

2) The ability to set a default bcc that all sent messages are forwarded to.

Those two are essential for me, and then there are two that are is close to essential:

3) Multiple accounts. Why can't I access my gmail or whathever other account via the same client.
4) Automatically sync everything with/to local, attachments and all, so that I have offline access to everything.

I have read several times on this forum 'We are working on improving the client, it is on our wish list'. That's not helpful. Kerio Connect is presented/sold as a business solution, it should be business-ready now, not perhaps in 6 months or a year.

So, I tried Emclient. It has all the features that I am looking for. Unfortunately I get a connection error 2-3 times a day (which I just click away, no consequence, just a nuisance) and I have found out that I can't share folders from/with other users using emclient. So someone is not following the protocol, either Kerio Connect, or emclient. I don't know who, and I am not a computer expert capable of finding out, but clearly emclient is also not a solution. And it is not free for business use, which would be acceptable if it worked seamlessly, but it doesn't.

I also used Thunderbird on one computer to access my account, as an IMAP client. Worked fine, except that a subfolder made in emclient (or in Kerio client, for that matter), is not seen by thunderbird, so apparently no full synchronisation takes place. So this one is out as well.... (and besides, thunderbird doesn't offer native EWS support, so some features are expected to not work, but a simple subfolder, that should work, always).

So, who can help me? Which client should use so that I can share without problems and have the four (very basic, in my view) features that I mentioned higher up?

I only have outlook 2013 or 2016 left on my list. Would outlook be a solution?
  •  
Think Fixed

Why not just use Outlook? You may need to install the Kerio Outlook Connector to get all of the sharing access that you want. While Kerio may add the ability to have multiple accounts in the desktop Kerio Connect Client, you shouldn't expect them to add gmail compatibility to it. That wouldn't work well since Google changes gmail often, and Kerio's developers would have to constantly keep up.

Howie Isaacks
Systems Engineer | Apple Solutions Consultant
Think Fixed LLC, Dallas and Fort Worth

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
bj

Well, one of the purposes of the message was indeed to get people's opinion on whether Outlook might do the trick, or whether that would be a waste of time. Do you have any experience using outlook with Kerio?

Forget that I mentioned about gmail functionality, just simple IMAP account functionality would be nice. There must be 20, 30 clients offering that, why can't the Kerio client offer that as well?

Then again, it is kind of frustrating that one buys into the Kerio ecosystem, and the best functionality then comes from a MS client. Don't you think that's strange?

Most of all I am missing the possibility in the Kerio CLient to save an individual message, like I already explained. And what I strangest of all, is that nobody else seems to miss that feature.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious, and is it possible after all?

I really can't believe that everybody is happy just keeping all their emails on the Kerio server not even having a possibility to place them elsewhere, for whatever reason they might find important (backup, file organisation, send a load of them via Wetransfer, or even: not losing the messages if one decides not to use Kerio anymore)

The export/save functionality is so basic to me that I keep on thinking that it must be somewhere, simply in a place I didn't expect.

I just can't believe it's not there in Kerio, and possibly worse, that nobody cares.

•  
ComputerBudda

All of my users on Kerio use outlook. BTW, I don't use outlook with Gmail, it never worked properly but kerio works great with Outlook....and no, I've never had the need to move an individual message out of my email client. Perhaps I'm missing something great and didn't know it.
  •  
Backspin

The Kerio Connect client is not a real e-mail application like for example Thunderbird or Outlook. It basically is the webmail packaged as an application. As fas as I know it doesn't do any local storage either, so if you don't have an active internet connection, you don't have any access to your mail.

Thunderbird and any other IMAP-compatible clients should work without any problem with Kerio. But it's IMAP, so in some clients you need to select with folders you want to sync, and which folders to use for storing Sent Mail and Deleted Mail.

•  
bj

Thunderbird et al should work, indeed. But try it yourself please. Connect to your account using Thunderbird, then make a folder using Kerio, and see if it shows up on Thunderbird. It doesn't. It has nothing to do with selecting which folders to sync, I don't even have a possibility to subscribe to those folders in Thunderbird in order to sync them.

I hear good stories about 'The Bat' (in general, not particularly related to Kerio). Does anybody have any experience with the Bat on Kerio?

Outlook may sound nice, but it is only available as part of a 150-500 € MS Office suite. Bit steep if you don't need the rest (and even if you do).

Kerio should really offer a decent client. Either developed in-house, or a modified external client which is tuned to work seamlessly plug-and-play, with Kerio.
Previous Topic: Malware protection on server
Next Topic: Kerio Connect Client - Delete Immediately Option
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 18:07:05 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00439 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.