Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Visnetic Plugin problems in Windows 2003
  •  
Crazy

Send a private message to this user
I want to report you about bug in Visnetic Plugin together with Kerio Winroute Firewall 6.0.x

OS Win2003 - when I start VisNetic plugin I see appropriate
processes vavcom.exe and kavss.exe in Task Manager. But sometimes both
processes shut downs by unknown reason, so scanning is not available.
Manual start of vavcom.exe has no any effects.
In a result: Kerio Winroute Firewall 6.0.x passes all viruses, and in logs writes that all normally.
This problem only under Windows 2003, on Windows XP all is good.
  •  
Lodeon

И тут наши Very Happy Что я написал в саппорт и что мне ответили:

http://www.kerio.com/kwf_visnetic.html

> Kerio WinRoute Firewall supports the deerfield.com VisNetic Antivirus system.
> This anti-virus runs on Microsoft Windows 9x/ME and NT/2000/XP/2003.

Visnetic don't work at Windows 2003!!! Only on earlier systems. 

Official answer from Jeffrey Wadlow:

Hi Denis,
I filed a bug report for this. We will get that web page updated. 
  •  
stang

Hi,

I have tried the latest visnetic plugin on windows 2003 and win xp with kwf 6.0.6 and on both systems I do not get vavcom.exe and kavss.exe running in the Task Manager like you mention. I have the visnetic plugin service running but thats it. Is there something I have missed ?

Also ever since moving to visnetic from mcafee I have not had one virus message in 2 weeks, whereas I previously was getting at least 2-3 a day from mcafee. Should visnetic also log virus messages in kwf ? Visnetic updates daily but thats the only thing it seems to do. Is there a way to see if kwf is actually using the visnetic plugin ?

Thanks for you help.
  •  
an2ny79

Use EICAR virus to test your plugin.
Any anti-virus product that supports the EICAR test file should detect
it in any file providing that the file starts with the following 68
characters, and is exactly 68 bytes long. Use Notepad or any text
editor, copy and paste the following and save it as EICAR.com

X5O!P%<at> AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H *

Regards,
Anthony

stang wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have tried the latest visnetic plugin on windows 2003 and win xp with kwf 6.0.6 and on both systems I do not get vavcom.exe and kavss.exe running in the Task Manager like you mention. I have the visnetic plugin service running but thats it. Is there something I have missed ?
>
>Also ever since moving to visnetic from mcafee I have not had one virus message in 2 weeks, whereas I previously was getting at least 2-3 a day from mcafee. Should visnetic also log virus messages in kwf ? Visnetic updates daily but thats the only thing it seems to do. Is there a way to see if kwf is actually using the visnetic plugin ?
>
>Thanks for you help.
>
>
>
>

•  
stang

Thanks Anthony,

I tried the eicar test and using kwf 6.0.6 with visnetic did not pick it up. I did use the correct string as it was picked up by norton on my desktop. So I dont know if it is the visnetic plugin or kwf that is not working correctly.

regards
Steve
  •  
an2ny79

FYI, KWF with AV will not actively scan your system (unlike norton). It
will only scan SMTP / FTP / POP3 sessions. What you need to do is
create an email with EICAR attachment and send it to ur yahoo / any
other email account. With this, KWF will scan your SMTP session.

BTW, you need to disable your Norton to keep it from scanning your
outgoing email.

Regards,
Anthony

stang wrote:

>Thanks Anthony,
>
>I tried the eicar test and using kwf 6.0.6 with visnetic did not pick it up. I did use the correct string as it was picked up by norton on my desktop. So I dont know if it is the visnetic plugin or kwf that is not working correctly.
>
>regards
>Steve
>
>
>
>

•  
stang

Hi Anthony,

I tried what you suggested and out of 16 attempts of sending an attachment it was not stopped at all. When I put the eicar string in the body of the message it was detected once out of about 10 identical emails but it still allowed the string to go through.

I have since removed visnetic and installed AVG and it has performed like it should. So either kwf wasnt connecting properly to visnetic, or the visnetic plugin wasnt working properly.

Thanks for your help.

I am going to setup a test machine with the new kwf 6.0.8 so I will try visnetic once more with that before filling it away.
  •  
an2ny79

If you put the string in message body, it won't be considered as virus
but an email only.
You need to save it as ".com" and attach it in your email. With this,
AV will be tricked that the file you attached is a virus.
Remember, that string is only string not a command.

stang wrote:

>Hi Anthony,
>
>I tried what you suggested and out of 16 attempts of sending an attachment it was not stopped at all. When I put the eicar string in the body of the message it was detected once out of about 10 identical emails but it still allowed the string to go through.
>
>I have since removed visnetic and installed AVG and it has performed like it should. So either kwf wasnt connecting properly to visnetic, or the visnetic plugin wasnt working properly.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>I am going to setup a test machine with the new kwf 6.0.8 so I will try visnetic once more with that before filling it away.
>
>
>
>

Previous Topic: KWF VPN
Next Topic: Create rules for a specific machine (ip known)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 12:13:53 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.