Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Windows Server 2016 Support
  •  
rhunter

Send a private message to this user
Is there a timeline or estimated data when Kerio Connect will support Windows Server 2016? On the web site it states that only Server 2008 and 2012 are supported.

Thanks,

Russ
  •  
kenwest

I also have this question about Windows Server 2016 support. We are in the process right now of ordering a new server for Kerio Connect and have planned to order it with Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition. Will it work?
  •  
rhunter

I am trying to test v9.2.3-2929 on the Server 2016 evaluation version. I cant get it to startup after installation. I get an "error 1920, service failed to start during installation, check to make sure you have sufficient priveleges to start system services". I am running the install executable as administrator. Have tried setting the mailserver service to use the administrator local login and that fails with the same error.
  •  
kenwest

Could someone from Kerio weigh in on this? Windows Server 2016 has been in General Availability since October 12, 2016. I'd hate to be stuck on Windows Server 2012 R2 if Windows Server 2016 can work. What needs to be done to successfully install this OS?
  •  
areichmann

Same question here .. customer asks for support of server 2016. (we know it works, but we need a official statement).

Tried to submit a support ticket ... but support system (website) is broken.
  •  
Brian (GFI/Kerio)

Official support for Server 2016 is planned for release this quarter.

Brian Carmichael
Instructional Content Architect
  •  
kenwest

rhunter, were you able to get Kerio Connect working on Windows Server 2016?

I'm wondering if we are only waiting on an official statement of support from Kerio OR if for some reason Kerio Connect will not currently work on Windows Server 2016.

Thanks!
  •  
rhunter

The short version, I got it working.

The long version, we're still running the last 32 bit version of KC so I'm looking at updating the server OS and KC to 64 bit. I first tested installing v9.2.3 over a copied version of our mail store on a Win 7 Pro 64 box. It installed and worked. Next I tried the same method on the WS2016 evaluation doing the same thing and got the error 1920 message. I got it to work by deleting the copied store from the test server, installing v9.2.3 fresh as a new install, stopping KC, restoring the mail store from the zip file backup using kmsrecover and restarting KC. That worked.

I have *not* exhaustively tested it. One issue so far is that the service wont always start on a cold boot. The OS times out before it starts and logs a message. That may be related to my older test bed hardware being slow, but I tend to doubt it. It starts right up manually after boot.

Honestly, I have used KMS for 14 years, since version 5.x and it has been a perfect fit for our needs. But, I am really at a decision point with it going forward. I have little confidence that the GFI acquisition is going to end well for users that are accustomed to the way Kerio has operated in the past. One concern is what will happen with the maintenance cost. Will it increase? The termination of the 32 bit version left me with a major problem in that the hardware/OS it is currently on is fine for a few more years, but KC no longer gets updated. The loss of the old webmail client is major. The new web client is just plain slow. Opening a simple email with one line of text in it takes ~5 seconds with the CPU running at ~40%. This happens in IE or Firefox. The old webmail opens basically instantly.

You didn't ask for all of that, but there it is. My 2 cents...
  •  
kenwest

rhunter,

Your response on WS2016 is much appreciated! We're deciding on the approval of the order for new hardware with WS2016 today. I was concerned about KC working on WS2016 without requiring some serious wrench time or at all. We have info in this thread that says official Kerio support is planned this quarter, in 26 days. That and your email gives us enough assurance to order WS2016 now.

We are already on a 64-bit OS, WS2008 R2, so hopefully we will be fine. Additionally, the KC install on WS2016 will be a complete new install using KMSRecover to transfer everything from the old to the new server hardware.

The additional info is also appreciated. We have been on Kerio Connect for the past 10 years and also found the email server to be perfect for our needs. Yes, the GFI acquisition raises questions. What's next, right? The unknown and the possibility of poor support, overpriced support, poor software releases, the concerns run the gamut. We are in a wait and see mode and we hope that Kerio/GFI have a well thought out plan which does not leave us loyal clients scurrying for cover.
  •  
areichmann

@Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

Any news ? Q2 is nearly gone
  •  
Heather P (Kerio)

Hi there, yes, we are working on Windows 2016 support. Look for something in July.

Heather Paunet
VP, Product Marketing

Previous Topic: Archive Issue
Next Topic: Resource Caldav Link
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 03:32:04 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00507 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.