Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Software appliance, CPU picking
  •  
Jolmic

Send a private message to this user
At the moment planning a new control box for a small site.
Configuration will be straight forward,
3x 1Gbps LAN interfaces, 2x 100mbit WAN interfaces going loadbalance, 1 Kerio VPN site2site for management purposes.
Maybe with Antivirus, perhaps in future.

As I want to build this on diy hardware, I'm going to use a ITX platform with a quad intelike server NIC.

However I'm wondering what CPU would perform better.
-dual core 2ghz (2.5 turbo) Celeron
OR
-quad core 1.5ghz (2.2 turbo) Celeron

Does Kerio control effective multithread or would I better go for higher clock speeds on lower core count?

Thank you for your suggestions!

•  
gfimorgan

Send a private message to this user
Jolmic,

What kind of throughput are you trying to achieve?

Personally I would chose the quad as the turbo is so close and the multiple threads benefit you more than the single slightly faster dual core. If you are going to go ITX, I would recommend avoiding celeron though. If you are looking for anything close to 1Gb across routed networks, you are going to need 3.5+ GHz due to the way snort is implemented (can only use a single core).
Previous Topic: Alert: Low free memory on Kerio box
Next Topic: Kerio Control on Raspberry Pi
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 18:42:35 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00343 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.