Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Why is Kerio Backup SOO SLOOOOW?! (Full backup takes ages)
  •  
Sampl

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

i am quite curious to know why taking a full backup is so extremely slow using Kerio backup.

file started on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 01:02:10 +1200 and finished successfully on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 21:52:15 +1200.

Our store is 450GB and it takes almost 21 HOURS! to complete.
i am sorry but I find that to be unacceptable, that's around 5.95MB/s transfer speed on a 1Gbs network Shocked (our internet is faster than that or simply copying the store to the backup location will be faster then that (1.40 Hours to be exact) i tried it.

Kerio 9.2.4 (3252) runs on a dedicated server (no VM)
Specs: Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 <_at_>2.10Ghz
Store is stored on a RAID10 array comprised of Seagate Enterprise 12Gb/s SAS Drives
64GB ECC LR-RAM (was 32 but upgraded to see if that helped with the backup speeds, which it
did'nt Crying or Very Sad )

I used file sizes 2GB, 1.5GB, 1GB, and 0.5GB which resulted in no change.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

[Updated on: Mon, 14 August 2017 02:36]

•  
FEP

Send a private message to this user
I do not have statistics compiled to post here, but I agree completely that backups take longer than they should theoretically given network/storage speeds.

My conclusion has been that the pinch-point is the compression of the backup files. Without compression, I would expect Kerio would be able to dump the files to the backup location at effectively full network speed. But because Kerio compresses all of the files into zips first, the compression is the limiting piece.

There is one older forum post that is interesting, related to the compression, but it does not appear any answer was every posted. I cannot post the link since I don't have 5 forum posts yet, but if you search "Backup Compression" it will come up.

I am curious if anyone has a workaround to the compression?
Previous Topic: Offline Connector and VPN
Next Topic: [NOT RESOLVED] Chinese characters in sent emails
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Aug 24 01:01:21 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00328 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.