Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Gigabit Internet - CPU specs
  •  
fleecy

Send a private message to this user
We are looking into upgrading our 200 Mbps Fibre internet to 1 Gbps.

Our older Kerio Control Box won't be able to keep up with this; Kerio doesn't seem to offer any hardware that surpasses 900 Mbps in speed.

Is anyone here using Kerio Control with higher speed WANs? I'd love to know more about your setup.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 September 2017 20:12]

•  
sorat

Kerio winroute process appears to be single-threaded.
So, seek high GHz-per-core CPUs, in will scale linearly. Take latest intel 7700K kaby lake, overclock it good, over 5 GHz, and i'm sure it will handle 1 Gbps fiber.
Fast RAM speed will also help.
My setup is a bit defferent, need to handle many simultaneous connections, so i need big cache. CPU of choice is xeon 1650v3 15MB cache, handling 300 mbps good (far better than previous setup with low Ghz cores).
  •  
blturner

Something to note is that if you turn on intrusion prevention and/or virus scanning your speed will take a hit. On my gigabit fiber it was 30%, slowing things into the 600Mbps or so range. The 4 cores on my virtual machine never show a high load so I suspect that Sorat is right.

It's hard to get over 900Mbps on a gigabit port if the router actually does anything.
Kerio control uses Snort. Their interface to disable rules was too cumbersome so I just turned it off. I suspect that Snort with a limited ruleset would not be too bad but I have not found a reasonable way to set that up.
Previous Topic: VLAN question
Next Topic: untagged VLAN
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 19:46:38 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00414 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.