Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » HyperThreading, Multi-Core, Multiple Processor Support (Does Kerio Control support multicore processor and if it does how much cores)
  •  
Kraken

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

I have a question about what processor configurations are supported by Kerio Control? I believe that since it is running on a linux core, it should be able to utilize multiple cores. But how many cores can be utilized is the real question.

Right now, we are thinking about using the Gigabyte MA10-ST0 motherboard with Intel Atom C3958 SoC, which has 16 cores. And dual 10Gbps NIC.
Our internet connection is 120Mbps and we will switch to 200Mbps in couple of months. Number of user stations is around 100.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 September 2017 21:34]

•  
sorat

Kerio winroute process appears to be single-threaded. Your choice with Atom is the worst in this scenario.
Winroute will be struggling trying to cram its computation into that one weak core, while 15 others are chilling.
I believe it is due to kerio source code design, mostly (if not everywhere?) using linear programming, and not much multi threading.
So, now you know what to expect when you launch it on that Atom CPU.
  •  
Morgan H. (Kerio)

sorat is correct.

The main limitation of Control is the implementation of Snort which is single-threaded and will limit your traffic.
  •  
sorat

For example, see my screenshot of running system.

CPU is xeon 1650v3 [3.5GHz 6 cores] (3 cores active in vmware)
At this snapshot, fiber 300 mbit/sec almost 100% load, current states table = 130k connections.

./fa/4727/0/

Main 'winroute' process (as old as system uptime), as you can see, consuming majority of %CPU, other winroute processes having few minutes lifetime, those are the 'multi threaded' part [but only transient], consuming not much %CPU.
That is why I said kerio can be considered having kind of single-threaded behavior.

Keep in mind the options used, in kerio control:
Snort=off;
Content filter = off;
'Inspector' on firewall rules = off;
Bandwidth Management and QoS = off;
Antivirus=off;

All those options if used, will consume even more CPU % from that 'main winroute' process, peaking beyond one core capabilities, hence they are turned off.

• Attachment: cpu-load.png
    (Size: 52.35KB, Downloaded 33 times)
Previous Topic: VPN subnets overlapping
Next Topic: MultipleDHCP POOL creation
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 03:00:11 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00436 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.