Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Backup not backing up
  •  
macjimbo

Send a private message to this user
I've discovered that Kerio Connect is not backing up - despite receiving an email each day to say it's been successful.

I'm backing up to an external volume - pathname /Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Kerio backup/

But nothing appears in that directory when I check it.

I read in another thread about an issue where the backup volume could not be mounted and so Kerio Connect created a virtual volume. I think I have this issue, because if I attempt to change the Target Backup Directory it lists "Seagate Backup Plus Drive 1" in addition to "Seagate Backup Plus Drive".

However if I navigate to "Seagate Backup Plus Drive 1" using Terminal, the content is identical to "Seagate Backup Plus Drive" - and there is no Kerio backup on either volume.

Is this 'virtual' volume actually stored anywhere? And if so, where? Kerio has been reporting successful backups but I can't find any of them!

And how can I persuade it to store the backups on the correct volume? Is it a permissions issue? If so, what permissions do I need in order for KC to save the backup on this volume?

Cheers

James
  •  
macjimbo

Update.

The volume is named "Seagate Backup Plus Drive" but if I attempt to list it in Terminal by using ls and then dragging the volume from the Finder to Terminal, it actually lists "Seagate Backup Plus Drive 1" (note the 1 at the end).

If I alter this to "ls Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Kerio backups" then I get 'permission denied'.

If I use 'sudo ls Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Kerio backups" then it does list all the Kerio backup files. But now I have no idea if these files are actually on the backup drive or in some hidden store on the startup drive.

Opening the volume in Finder, the Kerio backups folder appears to be empty.

If I 'Get info' on the volume in Finder, the window is headed "Seagate Backup Plus Drive" but the name/extension is listed as "Seagate Backup Plus Drive 1".

I think this is more of a Mac OS volume problem than a Kerio specific issue, but hopefully someone can still help.

Cheers

[Updated on: Sun, 21 January 2018 17:26]

•  
Backspin

I've seen this before when the the backup drive disconnects during a backup.
In that case, Kerio will create a folder in /Volumes with the name of the backup drive, and will continue to backup there. But since /Volumes is a folder on your boot drive, the backup files are actually on your boot drive.

When you reconnect the backup drive, OS X tries to mount in at /Volumes/[name of backup drive], but sees that there is already a folder there with that name, so it creates a new mount point by adding a '1' to the name.

You can see this when you disconnect your backup drive, there will still be a folder /Volumes/[name of backup drive].

To fix this:
- disconnect the backup drive
- in Terminal, rename the folder /Volumes/[name of backup drive] to something else (ie /Volumes/wrong_drive_folder). You need do do this as root or via sudo.
- Reconnect your backup drive. It will now correctly mount as /Volumes/[name of backup drive].
- Force a backup in Kerio, or wait until a scheduled backup has been performed
- When you have a complete backup, delete the renamed '/Volumes/wrong_drive_folder'.

•  
macjimbo

Thanks for that helpful reply Backspin. I've resolved it now, and your explanation helps me to understand it.

Cheers

James
Previous Topic: 4.3.0 Recipient's mailbox busy
Next Topic: Auto Accept every Invite/Change/... on one CalDav Account
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 13 06:23:01 CET 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.75076 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.