Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Public contacts being deleted - how to determine why
  •  
mattriley is currently offline mattriley

Send a private message to this user
This isn't the first time it has happened, but our small company has lost some of our contacts that are shared in a public folder for our company email accounts. I don't see any operations in the log that show deletion of contacts, but maybe I'm missing where that is being logged.

Since the contacts are shared among five people, I'm unsure as to which computer the deletion came from. No one recalls deleting any contacts, but over the last couple of weeks, we have noted about 40 or so contacts that have just gone missing. I can retrieve them from backup, but this is not ideal both for the time it takes to do so and the confidence level in actually storing contacts on the server.

Is there any way to do the following:
1. Determine when a contact is deleted and from what IP address and/or user via the logs
2. Make a shared/public contacts repository for the company but only give certain users write access to those contacts

The second option is not preferred as it defeats the purpose of any company member being able to add/change contacts, which is nice to be able to do in a small company. Option #3 would be to abandon Kerio for contact management all together and search for another solution (which would be one more reason to dump years of investment in Kerio and switch to something different for all of our email/calendard/contact needs). I'm really hoping to not need to get to #3. Confused

-Matt
  •  
AndreasL is currently offline AndreasL

Kerio Connect Version?
Clients?
Do you use mobil devices?
Is there an external anti-virus at the same computer as Kerio Connect?
Is the filesystem clean?

Deleting a contact inside Kerio Connect should be visible in operations.log
Limit the admin access to public folder to only one account. All other should have only read access.
  •  

- Kerio Connect 9.2.5 Patch 3
- Seven clients
- Macs (Mail, Calendar, Contacts) and iOS devices (Mail, Calendar, Contacts), some web interface access
- No anti-virus on the Kerio server computer (MacOS 10.11.x)
- FS is clean and everything else works really well (email, calendar)

I'll do some more digging and testing and watch the logs. I'll also dig into the permissions model some more. Super frustrating.

-Matt
  •  
AndreasL is currently offline AndreasL

It easy. In config go to each user and check the option at rights tab. Below you uncheck the folder administration to public folders. Now the user can only read the public folder. This prevent deleting by user.

Another trap in most cases can be the mobil device. If you set up sync with 'device first, the server' in conflict mode you can accidently delete data on server if you remove it on your mobile. Take care with this setting. The default is: server first in conflict.

I never hear that Kerio Connect delete contacts by itself. User interaction is necesarry every time. Watch the logs, you will find the client who do it.

Andreas
  •  

Well, it appears to have happened again. This time, though, I have it narrowed down to one user account. The user swears he's not deleting the contacts and I believe him 100% - it's my boss and the one who is most negatively impacted by the missing contacts!

His account was the only one with write access to the public contacts folder. So it was either his computer or his phone that deleted the contacts.

Now I'm going to put the pieces back together again from backups. This time, though, I've created an email account that is to be used only for administration of the contacts. All other accounts will have read-only access. This contacts administration account will only be access through the Kerio Connect desktop application on my boss' computer; no system-level integration with that account so I can rule out Apple Contacts or Mail messing with things on the desktop or phone side.

One super-annoying thing I've noticed through all of this: In the Kerio Connect application (and web app) there is no place that tells you the number of contacts in a folder. That seems like such a useful function that I can't understand how it's not there. I've looked and looked but nothing. I can get a read on the number of contacts using Apple's Contacts app by scrolling to the bottom of the list - not very convenient, but it is there. I can count contacts in Kerio via terminal by using the ls command piped to the wc command from a terminal, which is even less convenient. Ugh.

-Matt
Previous Topic: Calendar Outlook TimeZone
Next Topic: Migrate Mdaemon to Kerio Connect
Goto Forum:

] [ PDF ]

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Feb 21 20:07:08 CET 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 1.37532 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.