Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook 2010-2016 autocomplete (manual Backup and Restore server-sided, synchronization)
  •  
mwgbr

Send a private message to this user
first of all, sorry for the long post.
This has nothing to do with the bugs of version 9.2.6

Hi @all,

after some email conversation with the Kerio support I don't know what to do, so I ask you guys Wink.

Our users heavily use the autocomplete function in Outlook. If it's gone, they are very sad.

Outlook 2003 and 2007 were a mess because of the *.nk2 files that had to be copied manually through the different instances / PCs for each user, inclusively renaming the file to the appropriate Outlook profile name and so on...

But hey, since Outlook 2010 Microsoft changed the approach and replaced the *.nk2 files with an autocomplete[...].dat file in the users roaming folder in windows. I had to do hundreds of converts with the outlook /importnk2 command.

Since then (Outlook 2010), I was surprised that even if a user got a new PC or wanted to use a second one, the autocomplete list is available on the new system when configuring the profile with KOFF.
What Microsoft also changed is, that the autocomplete list is now something like a sub- or hidden folder in the contacts directory of each user.

Because Kerio syncs all folders, magically the autocomplete feature is working between multiple instances, too. And don't tell me, that this is not the case. If I had to manually copy all autocomplete lists for every user since Outlook 2010, I would have noticed it.

However, the Kerio support constantly assumes that this is not possible.

Quote:

Thank you for contacting GFI Technical Support.
My name is [...] and I will help you with this case.

I apologize but it's not possible to restore from autocomplete database from an older Kerio Backup.

Inside each user mailbox there is a folder called __wm__autoCompleteContacts, this folder holds the email addresses. Connect has learned and uses for the autocomplete process, but this is only for webmail.

The autocomplete database that is saved on the server is the one is used for webmail, the Outlook one is local and the server doesn't save a backup.

I hope I was able to answer you queries, please reply to the same email for further assistance.

Kind Regards,
[...]
GFI Software

and

Quote:

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your reply.

I apologize but this feature is not available with Kerio Connect.

However, this is requested as a feature request for upcoming upgrades.

Please click below and check.

http://feedback.gfi.com/forums/29250-kerio-connect/suggestio ns/18459904-populate-outlook-autocomplete-database-from-cont ac

If received enough votes this will be added in the future upgrade.

Please reply to the same for further assistance.

Kind Regards,
[...]
GFI Software

So I think, this is a "feature" that is unwittingly working, but not directly supported by Kerio.

In a nutshell:
- the autocomplete list is stored in a (hidden) Outlook folder
- Kerio syncs this "by accident"
- the folder and list is synced between devices

Problem:
- because of an Outlook bug / update / restart the list was cleared locally on a PC
- This "mopping-up" was synced to Kerio
- autocomplete is gone, no VSS on the PC to restore the *.dat file

Condition:
- Volume / Image based backups are available for the Kerio server

Question:
- what do I have to recover (files / folders) to get the autocomplete list back for a specific day?

Thanks in advance
  •  
cwt

Hi!

A short question for better understanding: do you use server based roaming profiles?

Afaik (and as the support already wrote) KOFF doesn't sync autocomplete data itself. It's stored in the user profile.

The quick and dirty workaround to get the autocomplete entries back is the following (I had the same problem when we switched from 2007 to 2013):

- let the user launch Outlook
- compose a new mail
- click the "To..." button which brings up the contact list
- select the first contact entry, hold down the shift key, scroll down to the end and select the last contact in the list
- now all contacts should be marked
- click on "To ->" and Outlook should fill this with all contacts which were previously selected
- click on "OK" and be patient, this can take a little time
- back in the message window, check if all contacts are displayed in the recipient field
- close this window, don't save it

Now the autocomplete list should contain every contact from your contact list again.

As I said - it's the quick and dirty solution. But users can do this on their own.
  •  
Rome

That's a very good idea !!, even though I think there is an option to suggest Ideas to Kerio Support to have the autocomplete feature on KOFF --- feedback.kerio.com--- and with enough votes it should be applied
Previous Topic: KOFF synchronization failed
Next Topic: Kerio Setup Assistant not working in High Sierra (10.13)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 25 00:51:03 CEST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.73823 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.