Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Super Slow Local Area Network Performance!
  •  
RedDelPaPa

Send a private message to this user
Hi folks.

I'm having a huge problem with Kerio Winroute Firwall v6.0.6.

I have an Intel D875BPZLK server. It's packing a P4 2.8Ghz 800fsb and DDR400 in dual channel mode with gigabit ethernet. To make a long story short, when KWF is not installed, my local area network performance screams. I can transfer files to and from the server at 42MB/sec average transfer rate. That's pretty fast, and I'm quite happy with it.

However, with KWF installed, it kills my network performance big time. Here's the big kicker. The firewall doesn't even have to be running, just installed. We're talking a major cut to 3.5MB/sec average transfer rate. This tells me KWF's low level network drivers that are installed and loaded into the OS when KWF is installed, suck big time! This is serious! I didn't need an unconfigurable bandwidth limiter! I needed a software firewall/router. Good thing I'm just trialing KWF. This hit is unaceptable. I would never buy a licence for this software if this is not fixed. Sorry.

If I'm just stupid, and/or missing something, some help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
  •  
RedDelPaPa

Well Kerio? Anything to say to this? At all?

You fellas even reading this?

bump,
  •  
an2ny79

Hey Nate,

Well, that's a weird scenario you have there... Have you tried
uninstalling the KWF and test the transfer rate again? If nothing
changed, maybe you might want to check AntiVirus SW. Some AV has a
great impact in tranfer performance...

If KWF is just installed and not loaded (I mean... fully stopped
service)... I don't think it is the culprit.

Hope this would help.

Regards,
Anthony

RedDelPaPa wrote:

>Hi folks.
>
>I'm having a huge problem with Kerio Winroute Firwall v6.0.6.
>
>I have an Intel D875BPZLK server. It's packing a P4 2.8Ghz 800fsb and DDR400 in dual channel mode with gigabit ethernet. To make a long story short, when KWF is not installed, my local area network performance screams. I can transfer files to and from the server at 42MB/sec average transfer rate. That's pretty fast, and I'm quite happy with it.
>
>However, with KWF installed, it kills my network performance big time. Here's the big kicker. The firewall doesn't even have to be running, just installed. We're talking a major cut to 3.5MB/sec average transfer rate. This tells me KWF's low level network drivers that are installed and loaded into the OS when KWF is installed, suck big time! This is serious! I didn't need an unconfigurable bandwidth limiter! I needed a software firewall/router. Good thing I'm just trialing KWF. This hit is unaceptable. I would never buy a licence for this software if this is not fixed. Sorry.
>
>If I'm just stupid, and/or missing something, some help would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Nate
>
>
>
>

•  
RedDelPaPa

"Have you tried
uninstalling the KWF and test the transfer rate again?"

Absolutely! You really need to go back and re read my original post. Not to sound rude, but you need to read and comprehend it.

With KWF just installed or both installed and running, it kills my LAN transfer rate. With KWF uninstalled, everything returns to normal. My transfer rates return to pre KWF speeds.

The problem IS caused by the installation of KWF. Test for yourself and see.

N8
  •  
ewieldra

Same problem here..

without the firewall copying data goes with 9300KB/s approx 75mbit with the firewall it's only 3500KB/s approx 28mbit... allmost 3 times slower... it doesn't make a difference if an virusscanner is installed ...

i've resolved the problem by installing a new machine for KWF .. is a temp solution...

the KWF monitors the local network connection .. this is why the performance is slow.. there must be a rule to exclude local network traffic from being scanned...

Thnx and Greetings...

Emiel Wieldraaijer
The Netherlands
  •  
an2ny79

FYI, I subscribed and received posts via EMAIL. How would I know that
you explained that to your first post? If I knew, do you think I would
ask? Anyway, I'm just trying to help here.

Well...For my case, I haven't encountered such problems.

Regards,
Anthony

RedDelPaPa wrote:

>"Have you tried
>uninstalling the KWF and test the transfer rate again?"
>
>Absolutely! You really need to go back and re read my original post. Not to sound rude, but you need to read and comprehend it.
>
>With KWF just installed or both installed and running, it kills my LAN transfer rate. With KWF uninstalled, everything returns to normal. My transfer rates return to pre KWF speeds.
>
>The problem IS caused by the installation of KWF. Test for yourself and see.
>
>N8
>
>
>
>

•  
RedDelPaPa

I understand your just trying to help, and I thank you. Again, not to be rude, but if you don't receive the "whole story" via e-mail, then I suggest you read this forum instead.

You should set up a similar scenario and see for yourself what KWF does to the speed of your LAN segment when transfering files to and from your KWF host.

Hell, I say piss on these software firewalls. They all have problems and chew up CPU time. I'm going to find me a good hardware firewall next I think.
  •  
RedDelPaPa

ewieldra wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 10:26

Same problem here..

without the firewall copying data goes with 9300KB/s approx 75mbit with the firewall it's only 3500KB/s approx 28mbit... allmost 3 times slower... it doesn't make a difference if an virusscanner is installed ...

i've resolved the problem by installing a new machine for KWF .. is a temp solution...

the KWF monitors the local network connection .. this is why the performance is slow.. there must be a rule to exclude local network traffic from being scanned...

Negative. KWF is not monitoring anything if the service is stopped. With the service stopped, you will still have the major reduction in LAN speed. This means the problem lies with the low level drivers that get loaded on bootup with KWF installed.

Again, test and see for yourself. Test your LAN speed prior to installing KWF. Next, install KWF, disable the service before your reboot. Then reboot the PC. Then check your LAN performance after the system comes back up. You'll see what I'm talking about.
  •  
ewieldra

RedDelPaPa wrote on Mon, 18 October 2004 03:37

ewieldra wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 10:26

Same problem here..

Negative. KWF is not monitoring anything if the service is stopped. With the service stopped, you will still have the major reduction in LAN speed. This means the problem lies with the low level drivers that get loaded on bootup with KWF installed.

Again, test and see for yourself. Test your LAN speed prior to installing KWF. Next, install KWF, disable the service before your reboot. Then reboot the PC. Then check your LAN performance after the system comes back up. You'll see what I'm talking about.

you're correct but when i stop the service ... the speed increases... but.. it's less then without kerio installed.. on the machine ..

Thnx and Greetings...

Emiel Wieldraaijer
The Netherlands
  •  
germanr

Have you tried disabling the protocol inspector for the local traffic? (putting None) I tried it and it seems to be better.

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
RedDelPaPa

germanr wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 03:19

Have you tried disabling the protocol inspector for the local traffic? (putting None) I tried it and it seems to be better.

Yes, but, just having KWF installed and not running still puts a huge hit on your LAN performace. So this problem really has nothing to do with a KWF configuration.
  •  
ewieldra

only one sollution for this moment...
install KWF on a separate machine....not on your production server

Thnx and Greetings...

Emiel Wieldraaijer
The Netherlands
Previous Topic: SIP server not working, still.
Next Topic: Clients having probles accessing ftp site via winroute!!!!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 10:31:35 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00493 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.