Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » question for KMS for windows users
  •  
Tr!une

Send a private message to this user
How long do you have to go between reboots? I have a RedHat 7 box running KMS 5.10 right now. I plan to move KMS 6 onto Win2k Pro, but wonder how it handles. I would prefer Windows because that is what I know and know how to secure, patch, backup.... But the Linux box never gets rebooted and runs fine. Right now it is over 100 days up, and that shutdown was just KMS when I upgraded to 5.10. Can't argue with that. I prefer the hands off approach, but need to think about patching and maintenance.

Thanks
  •  
jonbrain

Have you considered an XServe?

The only time my XServe has required a reboot is when I have installed major updates to the OS.

I used to be running three Windows servers, I have now moved it all onto one XServe and an XServe Raid. It took me no time to get it up and running. The build quality of the actual kit is amazing and really good value compared to Dell.
  •  
bperkins

I would strongly suggest sticking with 5.7.10 until Kerio fixes two problems:

1) some blank emails in webmail
2) SSL errors causing KMS to crash

If your users use webmail a lot, I would definitely wait. The blank email problem is very frustrating. Some of my users only have access to webmail and they are missing important emails.
  •  
brianthiel

We're currently using KMS 6.0.3 on Windows 2000. We have approximately 35 users, most of whom access email via POP3 with Eudora Light, Outlook Express, and Outlook, many of whom occassionally use web mail (primarily via Internet Explorer).

Since we upgraded to 6.0.3, I'm not aware of the system rebooting. We've lost power a few times, but other than that, all seems well.

We experienced a daily reboot on 6.0.2 until I told users to stop using the "spam" and "not spam" buttons in web mail. That is not a problem since upgrading to 6.0.3 and people are clearly using those features again.

(Our "more spam" problem also disappeared with 6.0.3. Users who received about 100 spam messages per day now get 3-4 per day, 20 or so in "junk mail", and the remainder are discarded by blacklists (SpamHaus). The only false positives in KMS are things that really look like spam, such as mailing list emails. The "Junk Mail" feature in Outlook 2003 catches the 3-4 messages per day that make it to my InBox, even with it's filtering set to "low". I've been using Outlook 2003 for a few months now, and it hasn't had 1 false positive.)

A handy feature is that Windows 2000 can automatically restart a service when it sees that service die. When we were having all those problems in 6.0.2 and 6.0.1, I set the KMS service to restart twice, then to reboot the computer (and restart) on the third death. That surely hid a lot of the problems with the KMS service deaths.

A quick recap is that I use Windows Server 2000 and KMS 6.0.3 and I'm a really, really happy camper these days.
  •  
harold

Can you tell me how you set the restart of a service and the eventual reboot. I very interested.

Harold

Harold van Aarsen
  •  
pwhodges

On the "Recovery" tab of the service properties.

Paul
  •  
Tr!une

Xserve? I am not familiar with that.

Thanks for the detailed opinion brianthiel, what I meant by reboots is how often do you manually reboot? Windows is notorious for needing to be rebooted often. Interesting to see you also use POP3. I am considering moving away from that, but will probably do so slowly.

Bperkins, what is the SSL crashing issue? The blank emails in webmail isn't a big issue because most use POP3 with Outlook 2000. As soon as I get KMS 6 up and running, we are going to move to Outlook 2002 or 2003.

Again, thanks for the input.
  •  
Tr!une

Xserve? I am not familiar with that.

Thanks for the detailed opinion brianthiel, what I meant by reboots is how often do you manually reboot? Windows is notorious for needing to be rebooted often. Interesting to see you also use POP3. I am considering moving away from that, but will probably do so slowly.

Bperkins, what is the SSL crashing issue? The blank emails in webmail isn't a big issue because most use POP3 with Outlook 2000. As soon as I get KMS 6 up and running, we are going to move to Outlook 2002 or 2003.

Again, thanks for the input.

•  
jonbrain

The XServe is Apples range of servers. They run OS X server which is Unix.

Have a look at:
http://www.apple.com/xserve/

The nice thing is has all the security and reliabilty of Unix but is a lot easier to administer.
  •  
bperkins

Hi "Tr!une"

Every now and then (about once every two weeks) all my SSL services will crash. The only way to get them back up is to restart KMS. Restarting the individual service does not help. This might only occur on Redhat Linux versions, not sure.

Here is a quote from a support ticket I have with them on this issue:

"The only time we've seen it is from Safari connecting to WebMail with HTTPS; Safari is doing something strange with SSL that we don't fully understand. We're still investigating it, and I'll let you know what we find out."

This isn't a big issue for me, just annoying. My biggest issue with 6.0.3 is the blank emails still occuring in webmail. Other than that, I'm very pleased with the progress of KMS 6.

BP
Previous Topic: Using the "Send To"
Next Topic: Bugreport - what to do before or after install & correct use.
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 05:45:38 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00417 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.