Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Backups 6.0.3?
  •  
thollingsworth

Send a private message to this user
I'm having trouble doing backups within Kerio 6.0.3 Linux, I'm trying to do a full backup every week on Sunday to a mounted samba location on my Windows Server over samba. The backup will run fine until it gets about 2Gig copied then it just crashes the server. It happens everytime. Is this a problem with Samba or with Linux or with Kerio's backup? Is there some 2gig limitation or something? Anyone else having problems?

Help is always appreciated.
  •  
mkanat

Hey Tyler. That's probably a problem with Samba, I'd think. A 2G limit is a common problem of filesystems.

-Max

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander
2nd Level Support Engineer, USA
Kerio Technologies
  •  
nickrooster

This also happened to me last night, and I can verify that it is a limitation of Samba. Is it possible for you to switch just your backups to NFS? Or could you do the backups to the local machine and then write a script to split the .tar.gz and then have the script move it across to the samba mount? Those are the two solutions that seem most likely to work.
-Nick
  •  
thollingsworth

Well I actually did it a little different. I mapped the drive on the windows machine to the store directory on linux machine and used a program called xxcopy with a /CLONE option which clones the whole thing and then scheduled in windows to do it weekly. Doesn't compress it but oh well.
  •  
nickrooster

Yes, you would also hit the file size limit when doing a network transfer to a Windows machine, as this was (originally) a Windows limitation. For purposes of interoperability, Samba behaves the same way.

Or am I misunderstanding and this method works for you?

What I did was mkdir backups under the store directory and then mount a remote share to it.

Came in this morning and the process was dead.

Thanks,
-Nick
  •  
thollingsworth

No I'm not tarring it anymore using kerio backup. I'm just copying the whole store directory to the windows machine just like it is no compression and it works. Then I setup a cron job to backup the kerio directory to the store directory so I can get the mailserver.cfg and users.cfg and it copies that as well. Figure that should be pretty complete backup solution.
  •  
nickrooster

Cool! Thanks for the ideas, I will set that up tonight for myself.
-Nick
  •  
thollingsworth

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

then here's what i put in my batch file called mailbu.bat that runs nightly at 1:00am

xxcopy f:\ d:\mailbu /CLONE /PB /ZY /YY

then i created a cron job to backup the kerio program directory as tar.gz file weekly to a folder in the store directory called backup

that way when the xxcopy runs it gets the emails and the cfg's from the program directory

•  
mkanat

You're going to run into definite problems if you back up the store that way. The indexes may all be inconsistent if you try to restore it, or you may encounter other strange problems.

However, a future backup system built into KMS will probably actually work the way that you are doing things now. Smile

If you want, you can use rsync to copy large files between Windows and *nix -- there's a Windows rsync called cwrsync that works very well.

-Max

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander
2nd Level Support Engineer, USA
Kerio Technologies
Previous Topic: spellcheck in webmail
Next Topic: 6.0.3 install stops Open Directory
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 11:10:14 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00476 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.