Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Cannot see computers on other lan
  •  
llyama

Send a private message to this user
Hi

My setup is a host with 3 nics, one to internet connection, and one to lan 192.168.0.x (with ip 192.168.0.1) and another nic to lan 192.168.1.x (with ip 192.168.1.1)

clients are set with gateway + dns to 192.168.x.1 on both lans

Everything works fine, apart from in network places each lan cannot see the other, so clients in 192.168.0.x can see all other 192.168.0.x clients and the server, but not 192.168.1.x clients, and same for the other lan.

I can access the other lan by ip, so a 192.168.0.x client can do \\192.168.1.x and will see the shares etc

The host see's all computers on both networks.

In Traffic policy the default local traffic rule is set to allow all traffic between each other.

Feel it's something simple, maybe something with the routing tables?

Thanks.
  •  
feite

Host names are resolved using the NetBios (over TCP/IP) protocol. NetBios is not routable. So broadcasts for names stay within the subnet. The host is part of both subnets so it can see all clients. A client is part of one subnet so it can only see the clients of that subnet.

Maybe a WINS server can help.
  •  
llyama

thanks i understand

is there any way i can get both networks to use the same subnet? have both of the networks use 192.168.0.x ?

Tried to do that to start with but it didnt' seem to work at all
  •  
feite

When I connect two networks through VPN I use the wins server to resolve computer names. In that case all works fine for me.

•  
Kire

Anything special needed for a VPN-client to work with a WINS-server? For some reason VPN-clients are not added in the WINS-list of the server. I can reach computers in the local network by means of IP-address but not by name.
WINS-address is set on the firewall/vpn-server computer and the NetBIOS names of the firewall computer are present in the WINS-list.

•  
missolutions

This may be over simplified but have you checked the subnet mask? I've seen some of the other posts but none seem to have touched on that simple item. 192.168.0.x/24 or 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.x/24 will only see their local PCs. If you use 255.255.0.0 as both subnets both the 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x networks will show up in the network neighborhood. As Netbios and the subnet mask control the broadcast functions. Hope it helps.

Micah.
  •  
Kire

Thanx, sound simple and logical too. But I can't get the settings for the VPN-server right to accomplish this:

I have set the VPN network set to 192.168.16.0 but it won't allow me to change the mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 ! It keeps telling me 'Invalid network address or mask'. Am I missing something simple again?

Regards.
  •  
sophos9

Hi

Problem is almost certainly netbios as previously stated. How do you assign IP's?

Dont take this the wrong way but sometimes the most simplistic problem are the worst.

1) What Node types your clients set as
2) When your WINS server was running, did you specify the WINs location
3) Did you remember to release and renew your IP (if running DHCP)
4) Did you check that your WINS was being dynamically updated via DHCP?

What client/servers are you running?

Regards
Previous Topic: Issues testing Kerio Winroute Firewall 6.01 & 6.04
Next Topic: HTTP: Non-ASCII bytes detected in HTTP request
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 12:14:20 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00441 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.