Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » RAID 5 Configuration
  •  
bperkins

Send a private message to this user
I am about to move our RAID 1 implementation to RAID 5 to increase performance. I'm trying to decide whether to make all disks part of the RAID 5 to include the system and KMS all together or to separate them. I have 4 hard disks all the same. I'm thinking of the following:

1) Just make a 4 disk RAID 5 and have the system and KMS all on it.
2) 1 disk for System and "KMS log directory" and the rest of KMS on a 3 disk RAID 5. The logs will have a lot of writes which is RAID 5's downfall. This scenario might increase performance, but if the drive with the system fails, that won't be good. Although, I do thorough backups.

My overall goal is to improve performance. Current configuration:

RAID 1 (2 disks)
Redhat Linux 3
KMS 6.0.3

I've bought 2 more disks exactly like my current two. So, now I have 4 disks that are the same.

Anyone got any suggestions for increasing performance and finding the best way to implement?

Thanks!
BP
  •  
mkerr

Send a private message to this user
RAID5 is better at write performance over RAID3. In RAID3, the dedicated parity drive gets hit on every write, in RAID5 this is distributed.

For best performance while maintaining redundancy (although more expensive), use hardware RAID10. This would be 2 x 3 RAID0 disks (total 6) that are mirrored. Most of the LSI RAID controllers now support a hot spare option, so a failed drive is automatically substituted when one fails.

Really depends on how much money you want to throw at it. I would use RAID1 for system disks, or if the budget doesn't allow, ghost it and have a hot spare. Keep your data stores and logs on the RAID10 drives.
Previous Topic: SPAM suggestion (plus browser compatibilty)
Next Topic: offline store - the closest thing I've found
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 04:32:49 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00340 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.