Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Recommendations for switching?
  •  
chris_ohare

Send a private message to this user
I've tested Merak, Mailtraq and Kerio for our small business over the last few weeks. Kerio stands out for a clean administrator interface, and the ability to handle accounts with 1GB+ without choking. Having the outlook connector and snazzy web interface is great too.

I'm running into a couple problems though, and looking through the forums, I thought I might get a better answer from the users. I can't see any spam controls in Outlook, and I can't do body searching. (well, body searching worked one time.)

We're using Outlook 2000 pretty exclusively. From the forums, it sounds like there are a lot of issues with 6.0.3 that weren't there in earlier versions. We're pretty focused on email, with only a couple calendars and contact lists.

Should I use the latest versions of Kerio MailServer?

Should I use an older version of the Outlook connector?

Should I delay moving until 6.0.4? (I can only delay another couple weeks)

If I should run screaming, this is your chance to let me know. ;)

Thanks.

Chris O'Hare
chriso<at>dmrainc.com
  •  
sophos9

Even though the product is great it is badly let down by the bad technical support offered by Kerio.

Problems that get reported usually do not even get a response. If Kerio cannot sort their support situation out im sure that alot of users including myself will be moving to other products that can cope with supporting their customers.

I would hold on for 6.0.4, you do not want the hassle of 6.0.3, trust me it will only taint the product for you.

Personally I would use M$ Exchange for a host of reasons.

Dont get me wrong, Kerio has produced some great products but seriously needs to follow through with some good backup which it currently lacks

Hope this helps a little....
  •  
nickrooster

>I'm running into a couple problems though, and looking through >the forums, I thought I might get a better answer from the >users. I can't see any spam controls in Outlook, and I can't do >body searching. (well, body searching worked one time.)

Check out my reply to your newer post, but basically, you cannot.

>We're using Outlook 2000 pretty exclusively. From the forums, it >sounds like there are a lot of issues with 6.0.3 that weren't >there in earlier versions. We're pretty focused on email, with >only a couple calendars and contact lists.

I was forced to upgrade my co. to Outlook 2k2 when we installed KMS 6.0.2. There is a newer version of the connector that should allow it to work better with 2000 available in the KMS 6.0.3 sticky thread at the top.

>Should I use the latest versions of Kerio MailServer?

6.0.3 has some issues with Outlook especially. I would hold off if possible, or install 6.0.2, which was a little slower for Outlook, but had fewer show-stopping bugs.

>Should I use an older version of the Outlook connector?

Don't use an older version of the Outlook connector with a newer server version. It will work, but be flaky, and the server was the issue with this release, not the connector.

>Should I delay moving until 6.0.4? (I can only delay another couple weeks)

If you can -- I am also patiently waiting for 6.0.4 to fix a couple of the critical bugs with 6.0.3, but 6.0.3 is already installed here.

>If I should run screaming, this is your chance to let me know. ;)

This is a great product, and allowed for fairly painless migration from Exchange 2000 for us. The support is fantastic, and all tickets I have submitted have been replied-to. If you call you get a HUMAN on the phone, and they are interested in helping you. That said, it was different enough from Exchange to warrant a couple weeks worth of moaning about how this or that feature of Outlook did not work exactly the same. They seem to improve this product constantly, as you can see from the changelog on the download page, and basically, despite some of its shortcomings, which should be fixed eventually, it works very well and does not choke or crash every week like Exchange did.

Integrated spamassassin works as expected and filters properly, and the integrated AV works very well, too. Anyway, enough rambling, hope that helped you some!

If you would like a list of errors and issues I have found in my use, please let me know.
-Nick
Previous Topic: Kerio or NOT?
Next Topic: Webmail Help
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 14:23:34 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00339 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.